Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

sion. Like a cat or dog chasing its tail, Spain o ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

sion. Like a cat or dog chasing its tail, Spain o

Started by fengzhu, 2013/07/17 11:12PM
Latest post: 2013/07/17 11:12PM, Views: 574, Posts: 1
sion. Like a cat or dog chasing its tail, Spain o
#1   2013/07/17 11:12PM
fengzhu
MASON, Ohio -- The semifinals of the Western & Southern Open will feature a rerun of the mens Olympic bronze medal match between Novak Djokovic and Juan Martin del Potro. Djokovic and Del Potro advanced in straight sets on Friday to set up the rematch from London. Del Potro beat Djokovic on Wimbledons grass to win the bronze, the first of four medals for Argentina. Theyll go at it again Saturday on the hard courts in suburban Cincinnati. "He won that match," Djokovic said. "It happens. You lose, you win, but the most important thing is to try to move on and become even better and even stronger from those experiences. And try to win." Venus Williams needed another grueling match -- her third three-setter of the tournament -- to get past reigning U.S. Open champ Samantha Stosur 6-2, 6-7 (2), 6-4. Williams has been coping better with an immune system disorder that causes fatigue, and it has showed in her results this week. Her latest win lasted 2 hours, 33 minutes. The American raised both arms and jumped -- kicking up her heels -- after the final point. "For me and everything thats gone on in my life, its a huge achievement and I want to take it further," said Williams, who is 8-1 in three-set matches this season. While Williams deals with her condition, Del Potro has been nursing a sore left wrist that hell have examined before the U.S. Open, which he won in 2009. He beat Frances Jeremy Chardy 6-1, 6-3 on Friday. The right-hander missed most of the 2010 season while recovering from surgery on his right wrist. The doctor who performed that surgery will look at the other one following the Cincinnati tournament. "The good thing: Im not getting worse, so I can play," he said. "But anyway, I want to wait (for) what the doctor says because I have experience on my other wrist." After winning his bronze, Del Potro went to Toronto and got knocked out in the first round of the Rogers Cup. Hes still trying to get his game back to a championship level. The rematch with Djokovic on a hard court provides a good measure. "Im still feeling a little difference between the top players and me," he said. "But I know Im getting closer very slowly, so thats important. Im working for that." Djokovic reached a Masters semifinal for the second straight week by knocking off Marin Cilic 6-3, 6-2. He won the Rogers Cup in Toronto last Sunday. The Serb was fresh on Friday, having spent only a half-hour on court the previous day. Russias Nikolay Davydenko had to quit after losing the first set 6-0 on Thursday night because of a sore shoulder that interfered with his serve. "It was my best match so far here in this tournament," Djokovic said. "Came in the right moment, really." Top-ranked Roger Federer was scheduled for the night match. Rain interfered with two singles matches Thursday night, forcing tournament organizers to juggle the schedule. Sixth-seeded Caroline Wozniacki was down a set to Russias Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova when the rains came. Pavlyuchenkova finished off a 6-4, 6-4 win Friday morning, then had eight hours to rest before playing a quarterfinal match against fourth-seeded Petra Kvitova. No. 9 Li Nas match against Swedens Johanna Larsson was postponed before they could take the court Thursday night. Li needed only 64 minutes to win 6-2, 6-2 on Friday morning, leaving her less than seven hours to get ready for her quarterfinal match against top-seeded Agnieszka Radwanska of Poland. Wholesale NFL Jerseys . Torontos victory seemed almost beside the point after the night Steve Delabar and Moises Sierra had. Delabar struck out a club-record four batters in a single inning, while Sierra hit the first home run of his major-league career in an extra-innings 3-2 win over the Chicago White Sox. Wholesale NFL Jerseys China . Dwyane Wade finished with 24 points and eight assists for Miami, which got 18 from Chris Bosh and twice saw its lead cut to three in the final minutes. Cole delivered the answer both times with a pair of jump shots, and the Heat escaped. http://herownblog.com/who... . Clevenger did not appeal the penalty and was set to sit out Saturday night at Pittsburgh. "I fully accept it," Clevenger said. "Major League Baseball stepped in and Im accepting their punishment for it. [url=http://herownblog.com/wholesale-nike-nfl-jerseys/]Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys . The CFL club announced Tuesday it is changing its helmet logo back to a simple W which, aside from some navy blue trim, is identical to the logo the club had when it won Grey Cups in the 1960s, 80s and 90s. Wholesale NFL Jerseys From China . Murray was the Blue Jackets first pick, second overall, in last months NHL Draft. Murray, 18, scored nine goals and 22 assists for 31 points and had 31 penalty minutes in 46 games with the Everett Silvertips of the Western Hockey League during the 2011-12 season. WARSAW, Poland -- Italy will head into Sundays European Championship final with one significant advantage over a Spain side that has dominated world football for the last four years. It can score goals. While Spain has tried to pass its opponents to death at Euro 2012, Italy has stuck to whats almost a quaintly old-fashioned approach of making the net bulge with pinpoint headers and blistering shots. Mario Balotellis two goals against Germany in Thursdays semifinals were superb examples of both. "We had the determination to go and attack Germany right from the off," Italy coach Cesare Prandelli said. "We had the courage to play the ball in midfield. I have always been an advocate of this style of play because I am convinced that we have a lot of quality players." By contrast, Spain has found it increasingly difficult to score in open play as the tournament has progressed. Its penalty shootout victory over Portugal in the semifinals after a 0-0 draw was far from the most entertaining match of the championship to date. Its 2-0 victory over France in the quarterfinals included a penalty and its 1-0 win over Croatia in Spains final group match needed an 88th minute winner from Jesus Navas. Thats just two goals from open play in 300 minutes of football. Spain coach Vicente del Bosque is well aware of his teams predicament, due in part to opponents tendency to sit back and defend. "There are two parts to football, the offensive and defensive aspects, and were sharper on the defensive end," he said. By contrast, Italy has respected a national tradition stretching back decades of getting better as a tournament continues. Its best game by far was the Azzurris 2-1 victory over hot favourite Germany in Warsaw and the margin of victory should really have been greater. Balotelli burst into form and midfielder Andrea Pirlo continued to reproduce the outstanding form that helped Italy win the 2006 World Cup. Claudio Marchisio meanwhile missed two glaring opportunities from inside the penalty box, either of which couldd have settled Italian nerves well before the final whistle.dddddddddddd And thats the key difference between Spains victory over Portugal and Italys shootout win over England after a 0-0 draw in the quarterfinals. The world and European champions never really looked like scoring against the well-drilled Portuguese, while it was a minor miracle that Italy failed to find the net against Roy Hodgsons side. The Italians had shown their attacking intent in the third minute of that match with a swerving half-volley by Daniele De Rossi that rattled Joe Harts post from 30 metres. A succession of chances then fell to Balotelli, while Riccardo Montolivo sent a shot over the top with the England goal at his mercy, Antonio Nocerino had a goal ruled out for offside, and Alessandro Diamanti hit the bar. For Spain, it was more of the grindingly familiar game that has taken it to the verge of a third consecutive major title. And it wasnt pretty. Spains short passing game draws heavily on the style of football played at club level by Barcelona, whose players are the heart of the national teams midfield in Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta and Cesc Fabregas. In turn, Barcelonas footballing culture is rooted in the philosophy of its former playing great and manager Johan Cruyff, who is widely quoted as having said: "If you play on possession, you dont have to defend, because theres only one ball." While theres no arguing with the Dutchmans arithmetic, Spains current problem is that its possession is not producing anything else except more possession. Like a cat or dog chasing its tail, Spain often appears to be turning the ball round and round in circles, without getting anywhere. At Barcelona, there is the goalscoring phenomenon, Lionel Messi. Spain has Fernando Torres. Not a goalscoring phenomenon. More worrying for Spain is that Italy scored first when these two sides met for their opening game in the group stage on June 10. That time, Fabregas was able to produce a quick equalizer. Spain may not be so lucky a second time. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes