Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

after Japan playmaker Shinji Kagawa from Borussia ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

after Japan playmaker Shinji Kagawa from Borussia Dortmund and m

Started by a123456, 2013/08/01 06:29AM
Latest post: 2013/08/01 06:29AM, Views: 427, Posts: 1
after Japan playmaker Shinji Kagawa from Borussia Dortmund and m
#1   2013/08/01 06:29AM
a123456
ARLINGTON, Texas -- After a grinding stretch when the Texas Rangers lost nine of their last 13 games, and the AL West crown in the process, manager Ron Washington gave his players the day off Thursday. . They get a chance to start fresh Friday. One chance -- or the season will be over for the two-time defending American League champions long before another World Series. "I dont feel any different," Washington said. "Other than the fact we have an opportunity to get back in the playoffs if we win a ball game." Still, the team that twice came within a strike of winning last years World Series, never expected to be in this kind of post-season situation. Instead of winning another division title, after being in first place for a majors-high 178 days this season, Texas hosts a winner-take-all AL wild-card ga,e Friday night against Baltimore and former manager Buck Showalter. Yu Darvish makes his MLB post-season debut for the Rangers against the only AL team the right-hander from Japan didnt face this season. Lefty Joe Saunders, a late-season acquisition by the Orioles, has never won at Rangers Ballpark. The winner goes on to play the New York Yankees, another of Showalters former employers, in the AL division series and will host the first two games. Baltimore is in the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Showalter, hired by the Orioles midway through the 2010 season, dismissed any notion that it means more to him getting to face Texas, where he managed for four years and then was replaced by Washington after the 2006 season. "For our players and organization to get an opportunity, its rewarding. Were trying to do everything possible to get back to Baltimore," Showalter said. "Personally, I thanked the players for letting me come along for the ride. " Just a week ago, Texas had a four-game division lead with six to play after splitting a four-game series at home against Oakland. The Rangers lost five of those last six games, including a three-game sweep this week against the As, who clinched the division title on the last day of the regular season with a 12-5 victory. The Rangers had a 5-1 lead in the season finale before Oaklands big comeback, including centre fielder Josh Hamilton missing a popup for a two-base error with two outs that allowed two runs to score and broke a 5-all tie. The 4-9 span is their worst such slide of the season. The only other time they were swept in a three-game series was the first week of July at the Chicago White Sox. "Just like any of our fans or anyone involved with our organization, there was a level of disappointment at first. A chance to win the division, and we couldnt put it away," general manager Jon Daniels said. "Then you take a step back and realize there are 20 teams that would kill to be where we are right now and would trade places with us in a heartbeat. ... Weve got one of our best pitchers on the mound at home." While Darvish (16-9) is a rookie in the majors, the 26-year-old starter had plenty of post-season experience before the Rangers committed more than $107 million last winter to acquire Japans top pitcher. He was 8-2 with a 1.38 ERA and five complete games in 11 post-season starts for the Hokkaido Nippon-Ham Fighters from 2006-11. "Hes an expensive one," Showalter said. "Hes impressive. They gotten a return on everything theyve invested. Hes pretty special." The Orioles acquired Saunders (9-13 overall, including 3-3 in seven starts for Baltimore) on Aug. 26 from Arizona. The lefty has previous playoff experience for the Los Angeles Angels. But Saunders is 3-7 with a 6.48 ERA in 11 career starts against Texas, including 0-6 with a 9.38 ERA in six previous starts at Rangers Ballpark. "You can make numbers any way you want to," Showalter said. "If youre looking for pitchers with good numbers against the Texas Rangers, theyre hard to find." It has been more than two years since Saunders pitched in Texas, and he allowed only one run in seven innings then. Now the Virginia native who grew up an Orioles fan is starting their biggest game of the season. "Its a huge opportunity. Its been a blessing since I got traded over here, its been an amazing experience," he said. "Itd be really nice to get a win for the club and get a playoff game back home. Thats what this organization is asking me to do." Texas won five of the seven games in the regular season and scored at least 10 runs three times. That includes the May 8 game in Baltimore when Hamilton, the free-agent-to-be slugger, became the 16th player in major league history with four homers in a game. Hamilton (43) and Adrian Beltre (36), the standout defensive third baseman limited to being the designated hitter against Oakland because of a strained left shoulder, have the most homers by a pair of big league teammates this season. The Orioles have a pair of 30-homer hitters in Adam Jones (32) and Chris Davis (33), who is among seven former Rangers playing for Baltimore. Davis was traded to the Os with right-hander Tommy Hunter in July 2011 for Koji Uehara, the righty reliever who retired 25 consecutive batters for Texas before giving up a single in his last outing. "The big thing for us was coming in August and playing these guys and kind of dealing with the emotions of being back, being on the other side of things," Davis said. "Right now were definitely excited to be in the post-season, and we really dont care who our opponent is. ... Were just glad to be in this situation." [url=http://www.packersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-jeff-saturday-jersey-gy... Saturday Packers Jersey . -- Ai Miyazatos closing birdie on Sunday provided exactly what the Japanese star needed to get over the victory hump at the NW Arkansas Championship. . A painful stomach disorder and blown-out knee kept Swick out of action for 910 days then. To put his absence in context, Swick missed 40 numbered UFC events before returning this summer to beat DaMarques Johnson. [url=http://www.packersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-casey-hayward-jersey-iu... . According to ESPN, Rivera has signed a one-year deal with an option with the Dodgers. [url=http://www.packersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-reggie-white-jersey-td-... White Packers Jersey . -- Jishan Sharples scored in double overtime as the McGill Redmen edged the Western Mustangs 7-6 on Sunday to win the Baggataway Cup. . Kulemin agreed to a two-year deal worth an average of $2.8 million per season. Kulemin made $2.2 million last season while scoring just seven goals and 21 assists before missing the last 12 games of the season with a broken finger.MANCHESTER, England -- Robin van Persie became the latest big-name player to slip from Arsenals grasp when the Netherlands striker completed his move to Manchester United on a four-year deal on Friday. Van Persie agreed personal terms and passed a medical examination to complete a transfer that is believed to have cost United about 24 million pounds ($38 million). "I am looking forward to following in the footsteps of so many great strikers, bringing my experience and playing my part to help the team compete for the biggest trophies in the game," Van Persie said. "I cant wait to get started." While Arsenal will be happy to have recouped such a big fee for a 29-year-old player who has had many injury problems in his eight years at the club, Van Persies departure nevertheless deprives manager Arsene Wenger of his captain and the leagues top scorer last season with 30 goals. In fact, Van Persie becomes the fifth Arsenal captain to leave the club since 2004, after Patrick Vieira, Thierry Henry, William Gallas and, in the preseason of 2011, Cesc Fabregas. Van Persies future at Arsenal has looked bleak ever since he issued a statement on his personal website last month saying he disagreed with the direction the club was heading. The London team hasnt won a trophy since 2005, when it beat United on penalties to capture the FA Cup. "Let me make one thing clear, I dont want things to get twisted," Van Persie said. "From my side and Arsenals side now, there are no hard feelings. Its just certain elements are vital for me and we had different views." The Netherlands international also spoke of his excitement at playing alongside players such as Wayne Rooney, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs. "Of course Id love to play with Wayne," Van Persie said. ""Ive said many times before he is a world-class player all-round. &qquot;Scholes and Giggs are world class and have been proving it for 20 years now. [url=http://www.packersofficialteamstore.com/autographed-datone-jones-jersey-lf-... Jones Jersey. . That had a big impact (in my decision), definitely. Id like to say we are all in it together to achieve greatness." Manchester City and Juventus initially showed interest in Van Persie, but Ferguson maintained his pursuit of the Dutchman, who could now make his debut against Everton in Uniteds Premier League opener at Goodison Park on Monday. Van Persies departure provides further evidence that Arsenal can no longer compete with the likes of City, United and Chelsea. In the past three years, Samir Nasri, Gael Clichy, Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure have all joined big-spending City, which won the English title last season. Fabregas left to join Barcelona, widely seen as the best team in world football, and now a disillusioned Van Persie has departed. Wenger has already brought in Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski in anticipation of Van Persie being sold, meaning there is no need for the last-minute signings that happened on transfer deadline day last August after the reluctant sales of Nasri and Fabregas. Van Persie will join an attacking unit at Old Trafford that already includes Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck and Javier Hernandez. Dimitar Berbatov is also still at United, but is likely to leave to make way for Van Persie. He is Uniteds third signing of the preseason, after Japan playmaker Shinji Kagawa from Borussia Dortmund and midfielder Nick Powell from English lower-league team Crewe Alexandra. "Robin is a world-class striker with a proven record in England and in European football," United manager Alex Ferguson said. "His talents need no introduction to our fans -- he has scored a number of goals against us in some classic battles with his former club. "His movement, finishing and all-round ability are outstanding." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes