Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

Saskatchewan (5-6), which enters weekend action ti...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

Saskatchewan (5-6), which enters weekend action tied for third in the West Division with Edmonton. Calgary (7-4)

Started by fsliang, 2013/08/03 07:43AM
Latest post: 2013/08/03 07:43AM, Views: 383, Posts: 1
Saskatchewan (5-6), which enters weekend action tied for third in the ...
#1   2013/08/03 07:43AM
fsliang
TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays have bigger concerns than being swept by the Washington Nationals after another starting pitcher left the mound with a potential injury. . Kyle Drabek left in the fifth inning after he felt something pop in the back his right elbow in Torontos 6-2 loss to the Nationals on Wednesday, leaving the Blue Jays with uncertainty about the state of their starting rotation. On Monday, right-hander Brandon Morrow left the game in the first inning with a strained left oblique muscle and he has been put on the 15-day disabled list. "(Drabek) felt it on the one pitch," Jays manager John Farrell said. "He threw a fastball and when the velocity was in the 87 mile-an-hour range and the way he finished off the mound you could tell something wasnt quite right, and then on the visit at the mound he said he felt a sensation at the back of the elbow." Initial tests on Drabek were encouraging. "Hes got full strength, hes got full stability just on the training room tests," Farrell said, but added that there will be more tests. Drabek had Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in 2007 and said the soreness was nothing like that. "Its on the back of the elbow, its not the ligament," Drabek said. "We did all the tests for it and I was strong so that was some good news. Its just a little sore right now. Obviously I want to go back out and pitch but its up to the trainers and coaches." Tyler Moore did most of the damage offensively for Washington, hitting his first two career major-league homers and driving in five runs. Ian Desmond also went deep for the Nationals. Jose Bautista hit his 19th home run of the season for Toronto off Nationals starter Stephen Strasburg. Drabek (4-7) allowed seven hits, two walks and four runs in 4 1/3 innings including a two-run double and a two-run homer by Moore. The Blue Jays (31-32) have lost six of their past seven games to dip below .500 for the first time this season. Strasburg (8-1) struck out eight in six innings to win his fifth consecutive decision, holding the Blue Jays to two runs and five hits. Strasburg came out because of a small cut on the middle finger of his right hand. He had been cutting his nails before the sixth and pitched one inning with the cut. "When he came back in I saw there was a little cut there," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said. "He wanted go out. Shoot, all of us wanted him to go out." Johnson decided to take him out. "It was nothing major," Strasburg said. "I definitely dont think it affected the way the ball was coming out or anything. I wanted to go out there again." Left-hander Aaron Laffey took over from Drabek and gave up Moores second home run and another to Desmond, his ninth of the season. The Nationals (38-23), who have won six in a row, broke on top with a pair in the second after a single by Michael Morse, a walk to Desmond and a one-out double by Moore. The Blue Jays tied the score in the third in front of 41,667 fans at Rogers Centre. Rajai Davis led off with a triple and scored on a groundout by Brett Lawrie. Bautista homered with two out. Bautistas 132nd home run as a Jay vaulted him to seventh on the clubs all-time list. Drabek gave up a one-out single to Danny Espinosa and a home run to Moore in the fourth as the Nationals regained their two-run lead. It was the first career home run for the 25-year-old first baseman, who was playing his 16th game in two stints with Washington this season. "I tried to throw an inside cutter to Moore and it didnt cut and it kind of just sat there for him to hit and he put a good swing on it," Drabek said. Moore hit a 3-2 pitch to straightaway centre with one out in the sixth inning to put the Nationals into a 5-2 lead. Moore is the first Nationals player to hit two homers in a game this season. "I feel like were building and it just keeps getting better," Moore said. "Its a fun place to be." Notes: Infielder Yan Gomes was recalled from triple-A Las Vegas before Wednesdays game to fill the roster spot left when Morrow (strained left oblique) was put on the 15-day disabled list. . . The Blue Jays have Thursday off before playing a three-game series against the visiting Philadelphia Phillies who will start Vance Worley (3-2, 3.17 earned-run average) against Drew Hutchison (5-3, 4.66 ERA). [url=http://www.lionsofficialteamstore.com/autographed-montell-owens-jersey-ak-7... Owens Jersey . Check out this weeks Power Rankings for more of my takes on all 32 teams. A look at the Week 15 matchups in the NFL: CINCINNATI (-5. . -- Denny Hamlin moved toward the top seed in NASCARs championship race by using a calculated late pass to win for the first time at Bristol Motor Speedway. [url=http://www.lionsofficialteamstore.com/autographed-matthew-stafford-jersey-a... . The Brewers dismissed bullpen coach Stan Kyles before the game, then watched their shaky relievers barely preserve this victory. Milwaukee scored four times in the seventh for a 4-3 edge, but the Astros tied it in the eighth against Livan Hernandez. [url=http://www.lionsofficialteamstore.com/autographed-c-j--mosley-jersey-bu-36.... Mosley Jersey . -- Shaka Smart and Co. .C. Uniteds 3-2 over the New England Revolution on Saturday night. Dejan Jakovic and Brandon McDonald scored in the first half for United (8-4-3). CALGARY -- Jon Cornish wasnt biting Thursday. On Wednesday, Saskatchewan head coach Corey Chamblin guaranteed Cornish wouldnt surpass 100 yards rushing when the Riders host the Calgary Stampeders on Sunday. That didnt bother Cornish, who says hes all about wins, not rushing yards. "You win or you lose and thats the only thing that really matters," he said following Thursdays practice. "If I have five yards and we win, Ill be happy with that. "I could care less what he has to say. I guess it could be almost unprecedented. Coaches have their various ways of trying to get in my head. To each his own." Calgary coach/GM John Hufnagel agrees. "Were going out there to try to win the football game," he said. "I dont care if Jon Cornish gets one yard and we win. "Thats the only thing that our mindset is." A day earlier, though, Chamblin was very much to the point regarding Cornish. "I will put the guarantee in the paper and say that Jon Cornish better not get over 100 yards rushing," Chamblin told reporters in Regina. "If he does, somebody wont be on that field come the next week. Im going to tell you that right now. "Were going to make a conscious effort to stop the run. If hes going to run the ball, hed better be running through six tacklers on his back. There shouldnt be open gaps." Bold words, indeed, considering Cornish ran for 159 yards on 24 carries in Calgarys last game against Saskatchewan, a 17-10 win Aug. 25 at Mosaic Stadium. But the Riders held Cornish to 39 yards rushing on 11 carries in a 41-38 loss at McMahon Stadium on July 19. "I dont really worry about what the other team does, Ive always emphasized that," Cornish said. "Its about what we do. "If we do everything right, I cant speculate about what theyll do. When you make guaranttees and stuff, being an honourable man you have to follow through with it. [url=http://www.lionsofficialteamstore.com/autographed-ziggy-ansah-jersey-ke-59.... Ansah Lions Jersey. . Unfortunately, he made one that will negatively affect somebody." Stopping the 27-year-old Cornish wont be easy. The native of New Westminster, B.C., is the CFLs rushing leader with 880 yards and is a focal point of Calgarys offence. "When you play the Calgary Stampeders, one of the areas that you want to make a point with your football team is trying to stop the running game," Hufnagel said. "Weve been a good rushing team since I came on board. "Weve been up there in the league stats. That doesnt surprise me that theyre trying to stop our running game. Maybe I wouldnt have put it so eloquently, but thats all Im going to say." But Saskatchewan counters with a stingy defence thats ranked second against the run (92.2 yards per game) and fewest points allowed (21.3 per game). "He set the bar a little bit lower," Cornish said of Chamblin. "I think theyre going to come out really focused and trying to lay some licks and stuff, sew me up. "When you know about it, it gives you something to focus on. Its not really something I worry about too much, stats on the field. You go out and play. At the end of the day, win or lose, thats the thing you care about." Guarantees aside, the game is an important one for Saskatchewan (5-6), which enters weekend action tied for third in the West Division with Edmonton. Calgary (7-4) is alone in second. And if the Riders concentrate too much in stopping the run, Cornish said that will open up other areas for quarterback Kevin Glenn to exploit. "If you want to dedicate that much of your resources to stopping the run, I definitely believe that we are a multi-headed monster," Cornish said. "Youll have to stop other aspects of our game as well." ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes