Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

phically," the coac - Off Topic Forum. - Country ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

phically," the coac

Started by zake201, 2014/04/01 06:21AM
Latest post: 2014/04/01 06:21AM, Views: 298, Posts: 1
phically," the coac
#1   2014/04/01 06:21AM
zake201
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Jarvis Landry helped LSU keep the SEC championship in reach with a 20-13 win over Arkansas on Friday. Now the receiver and the rest of the No. 8 Tigers must sit back and wait while their next destination -- perhaps next weekends SEC championship game -- is played out elsewhere. Landrys spectacular, reaching, one-handed touchdown catch late in the first half helped LSU (10-2, 6-2 Southeastern Conference) hold off the reeling Razorbacks. It marked the sixth time in eight seasons that the Tigers have reached double-digit wins under coach Les Miles. Even without a division crown, the Tigers could still get an at-large bid to the BCS. "Well take the next day and a half or so and watch TV tomorrow and be excited about it, and move forward and see how things go," Miles said. Zach Mettenberger passed for 217 yards and hooked up with Landry for the play of the day with 1:12 left in the first half to put LSU up 10-0. The Tigers were outgained 462-306 in total yardage, but they were able to hold off record-setting performances by Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson and receiver Cobi Hamilton. Wilson was 31 of 52 passing for the Razorbacks (4-8, 2-6) whose fall from preseason top 10 is now complete. The senior set the school record for career passing yards in the loss, while Hamilton set the school record for receptions in a career with 175. The records were a bright spot in an otherwise dismal season for a Razorbacks team that struggled mightily following the April firing of former coach Bobby Petrino. Arkansas was 21-5 the last two seasons and entered the season with SEC and national championship expectations, but it was eliminated from the bowl picture following last weeks loss at Mississippi State. "We kind of stuck together (through) all the adversity," Hamilton said. "Were still brothers. Were still the same 2012 team that everybody had high expectations for. But we just stuck together." The Tigers took at 17-3 lead early in the third quarter after a 1-yard touchdown run by Jeremy Hill, who finished with 77 yards rushing on 18 carries. The touchdown followed an 86-yard kickoff return by Michael Ford to the Arkansas 9. It also appeared to be the clincher for LSU, though the Razorbacks rallied behind the combination of Wilson and Hamilton. Wilson passed former Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallets mark of 7,493 yards passing in the second quarter, finishing with 359 yards in the game and 7,765 yards for his career, and his 28-yard touchdown pass to freshman Mekale McKay in the third quarter closed the LSU lead to 17-10. After forcing a Tigers punt, the Razorbacks used a key fourth-and-1 conversion to set up another scoring opportunity. Wilson found Jonathan Williams for a 37-yard completion on the fourth down at midfield, helping to set up a second-and-goal at the LSU 1. Arkansas was unable, however, to find the end zone on its next two plays. Interim coach John L. Smith then elected to kick a 17-yard field goal, which backup kicker John Henson converted to close the Tigers lead to 17-13. The Razorbacks never did find the end zone again, bringing a likely end to the Arkansas career of Smith -- who was signed to a 10-month contract following Petrinos firing. "Thats the right call," Smith said of the field goal attempt. "I mean, you have to score twice to win it, dont you? At least, I think you had to score twice to win it unless my math was wrong. So do you take it there? You have to take the sure points and then come back you have to score again anyway. So that was the thought, and I think thats the right call." The Razorbacks had one final chance in the closing seconds, but Wilsons second-down attempt from the LSU 18 was over the head of McKay as time expired. LSUs final score came on a 27-yard field goal by Drew Alleman with 1:26 remaining, giving it a 20-13 lead. The score came after a key 47-yard third-down completion from Mettenberger to Odell Beckham, who finished with eight catches for 112 yards. The Tigers led 10-0 at halftime in their first game in Fayetteville since 1992. They did so despite gaining the same 165 yards of total offence as the Razorbacks, whose season-long series of miscues continued in the half. Arkansas, next to last in the SEC in red-zone offence, squandered three scoring opportunities in the half. Dennis Johnson fumbled near the LSU goal line on the games opening drive, and kicker Zach Hocker misfired on a pair of field goal attempts before being benched in favour of Henson in the second half. LSUs first touchdown came late in the first half when Mettenberger found Landry in the back of the end zone for a 22-yard touchdown. Landry had to reach back over his wrong shoulder to stretch out and snare the ball with his right hand, landing well in bounds. "I felt that the throw kind of kept me in bounds," Landry said. "I felt that if he had led me any, there was a possibility I could have been out of bounds. "Its just one of those throws where Zach trusted me, and I just went up and made it." Hamilton finished with 10 catches for 98 yards in his final game at Arkansas, finishing his career with 175 catches. His record broke the former mark of 168 catches, set last year by Minnesota Vikings rookie Jarius Wright. Cheap Louis Vuitton Outlet . That blueprint has paid off against the Milwaukee Brewers this week. Carlos Gonzalez had four hits, Tyler Chatwood pitched six effective innings, and the Rockies beat the Brewers 8-6 on Tuesday night. Cheap Louis Vuitton . Midfield maestro Andrea Pirlo gave Juve the lead with an expertly placed free kick in the 11th minute at Juventus Stadium, Arturo Vidal converted a penalty in the 16th and Alessandro Matri added another in the 19th for his first goal since February. http://www.cheaplouisvuittonoutl... . Salvador Perez also hit a two-run homer for the Royals, who won their sixth straight against the White Sox. Chicago hit three home runs: Alexei Ramirez hit a two-run shot and Dewayne Wise and A. [url=http://www.cheaplouisvuittonoutletbiz.com/]Louis Vuitton Outlet . The Victoria cyclist was seventh in Mondays stage to hold onto the pink leaders jersey, avoiding a crash on the final turn that took out several of the top contenders. cheap louis vuitton sale .Y. -- With a stockpile of draft picks and a pressing need to add a top-line forward, Buffalo Sabres general manager Darcy Regier has made it no secret that he is ready to play "Lets Make a Deal" at the NHL draft this weekend. Daniel Haber has a scar that runs from ear to ear across the top of his head like the seam of a ball. Its the only visible reminder of a serious ailment that could have killed the Canadian and top goalscorer in the NCAA. Its the invisible reminders, the psychological impact of the health scare he suffered as a young boy, that Haber said helped shape the person and soccer player he is now. The 20-year-old from Toronto has scored 13 goals to lead Cornell University to its best start in its history -- 8-0-0. Cornell remains one of three NCAA teams without a loss or draw. The junior striker continues to excel eight years after a rare brain infection gave him a new appreciation for life and sport. "Maybe I needed to stop playing for a few years because when I came back to soccer I just had this hunger, enjoyment of the game, whether it was at practice or games, I loved being out there and moving around," Haber said after a communications class on Cornells Ithaca, N.Y., campus. "I guess everyone has to find what they love to do and what I love is being with my friends on the field. "I guess life is too short to not do what you love, and what I love to do is be on the field." Haber was 12 years old when he developed a golfball-sized lump on his forehead that was eventually diagnosed as a rare bacterial infection -- Potts puffy tumour -- believed to have been caused by a sinus infection that spread to his forehead. The lump was moving dangerously close to his brain, which would have left him brain damaged or worse. Five days after his 12th birthday, he underwent a five-hour surgery at SickKids which involved sawing off part of his skull. The cyst was removed and the skull cap reattached using titanium plates and more than 60 staples. Haber spent two weeks in hospital. A nurse visited his house three times a day to inject drugs for three months after that. He eventually returned to playing soccer and hockey, but didnt feel at ease on the soccer pitch, so didnt play competitively again until Grade 11. Cornell coach Jaro Zawislan spotted Haber at a showcase tournament that year and invited him to a camp that same summer. The coach clearly liked what he saw, offering Haber a spot on his squad. "Right away we knew he was a quality player, and that he would be able to contribute sooner rather than later, at the Division 1 soccer level," Zawislan said. "We knew that he was a threat on the attacking side, quality finisher. We talk about athleticism, speed, the explosive side of it, the technical side of it, tactical awareness, mental strength. "Getting to know him through the recruiting process we learned about his character qualities. He showed how driven he was to keep improving day to day to become a better and better soccer player and to fulfil his potential." The five-foot-10 Haber is coming off four goals and two assists in a pair of games that earned him Ivy League player of the week for the third time in four weeks. He added another two goals in a 4-1 victory over Hartwick on Tuesday night. Haber, who also leads the NCAA in points per game with 3.71, shrugs off the individual accolades, saying his success is as much a product of his teammattes.dddddddddddd "Its just a credit to how many opportunities were creating as a team, and whether it was me scoring or someone else scoring, it doesnt really matter," Haber said. "I really just like making plays, whether Im the one to put it in the net or not doesnt make a difference to me. I love being part of the attack and helping break down defences. "Setting up my teammates usually feels better than scoring myself, it just happens that this season its been more of me. But being able to do it for the team is all that matters." Zawislan said its obvious in the way Haber prepares for games and training that his star striker takes nothing for granted. "He just lives that soccer experience to the fullest, he as well as anybody else in our program," the coach said. "Everybody knows here whatever we get out of the season, whatever we get out of those games well have to earn it. "And thats something thats been ongoing theme here in our locker-room, that there is no sense of entitlement, theres no sense of anything coming our way unless we earn it on the field." Haber helped secure his spot at the Ivy League school with an application essay about his experience as a young boy, entitled "My Life-Changing Experience." He wrote about how it was the first serious blow hed been dealt in his life. There had never been any deaths in the family, nor even any serious illnesses. "It just gave me a new perspective on life, how close I was to getting serious damage in my brain," Haber said. "And being in the hospital around people who were all sick with various conditions, anywhere from being there for day treatment to being there for months or years, and some never being able to heal, people who had gone through some serious stuff and it really gave me a new appreciation on how lucky I was." Haber applied to volunteer at SickKids several times following his illness, but was told he was too young. He was finally given permission in the summer after his freshman year at Cornell, working in the cancer unit. "For a lot of the kids, they can get lonely, and some of them are there permanently, theyve been there for two or three years," Haber said. "Just having someone to be there and play, make you smile, or just talk to if you needed to get something off your chest. . . it was definitely something I wanted to do, to give back to the hospital. They saved my life, I owed everything to them." Haber received other scholarship offers to play in the NCAA but an Ivy League education was something the Canadian striker said he couldnt pass up. Zawislan, a former Toronto resident who has dual Canadian and U.S. citizenship, regularly travels to Toronto to scout Canadian players. "We try to keep an eye on Canadian talent because Cornell being the closest Ivy League school to Toronto area, it just makes sense geographically," the coach said. "We definitely cover that area thoroughly, exactly for that reason, for opportunities to identify players like Daniel." Cornell has eight games to go in the regular-season, and was scheduled to host the University of Pennsylvania on Saturday. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes