Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ns to end his season - Off Topic Forum. - Country...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ns to end his season

Started by zake201, 2014/04/08 05:10AM
Latest post: 2014/04/08 05:10AM, Views: 304, Posts: 1
ns to end his season
#1   2014/04/08 05:10AM
zake201
NORTON, Mass. - Masters champion Charl Schwartzel has been around the TPC Boston long enough this week to know that a fairway metal is the best option off the tee on the 356-yard first hole. Saturday was the first time he played the hole while furious -- he had just made a sloppy bogey on the par-5 18th and was losing ground in the Deutsche Bank Championship. "I was, to say the least, fairly upset," Schwartzel said. "Its sometimes very crucial to come back straightaway, otherwise your round can get away from you. The birdie on the first just got me going in the right mindset again." He turned that into a string of birdies -- five in a six-hole stretch on the front nine -- that carried the South African to another 5-under 66 and a share of the lead with Adam Scott and Bubba Watson. Watson, who finally put some attention back on his golf, played in the morning and produced what he called a "boring" round of 64 that included an eagle on the seventh hole for the second straight day. Scott, who won on the TPC Boston eight years ago for his first PGA Tour victory, played the 18th to perfection for an eagle, then kept moving up the leaderboard with enough birdies on the front nine for an 8-under 63, the low round of the tournament. Schwartzel knows enough about the FedEx Cup -- this is the second of four playoff events -- that he could miss the opening tournament last week and still win the US$10 million prize. Thats what Tiger Woods did in 2007 and what Jim Furyk did last year, although the latter was not planned. He has a big fall schedule in front of him, so Schwartzel figured he needed some rest. His first playoff event is going far better than expected. "Maybe its an omen," he said with a smile. The morning was filled with big cheers, mostly around one hole. Brandt Snedeker hit 9-iron from 146 yards on the par-3 16th, and the ball spun back to the right and into the cup. Some 20 minutes later, Greg Chalmers also made an ace. It proved to be a bigger boost for Snedeker, the start of a bizarre 1-5-3 on his card -- the ace, followed by a sloppy bogey that got his attention, and an eagle putt on the 18th as he went on to a 64 and was one shot behind. Nick Watney, a two-time winner on tour this year, had another 67 and was two shots behind. The leaders were at 10-under 132 as they work their way to a Labor Day finish. "Im happy to put myself in the hunt because I need a good week to move up in this FedEx Cup," said Scott, who is at No. 23 in the standings. "Im running out of time quick." The top 70 on the FedEx Cup list after this week advance to the third playoff event outside Chicago in two weeks, with the top 30 from there going to Atlanta for a shot at the $10 million prize. PGA champion Keegan Bradley is still in good shape to get to the Tour Championship, though he was feeling low after a 76. Not only was it his second straight missed cut in the playoffs, it came at his hometown tournament, and concluded a week in which he threw out the first pitch at Fenway Park and presided over the coin toss at the Patriots preseason game. "It was not fun," he said. "Just a bad day." Typical for these FedEx Cup playoffs, there were other scores that were significant. Ernie Els was among the last to qualify for the playoffs, though he still faced long odds. He barely advanced out of the first round and then shot a 65 on Saturday to move into a tie for sixth with a group that included Rickie Fowler. "Ive been working quite hard to get some kind of game going, and it seems like Ive got it going a bit now," Els said. "The putter is starting to cooper a little bit better." Els currently is using a belly putter. Phil Mickelson tried the belly putter for the second straight day, although it was more his long game that led to a 73. He was 11 shots behind and made the cut on the number -- 1-over 143 -- at the tournament he won four years ago. William McGirt, the 125th and last man into these playoffs, kept his hopes alive with a second straight 69 that at least gave him a reasonable chance of moving on to Chicago. Watson hasnt missed many cuts this year. He really hasnt done much of anything aside from his two wins in San Diego and New Orleans. He attributed it to getting accustomed to a little more celebrity. "You win three times in less than a year, all the people are writing about you in the paper, youve got more fans, youve got a lot more friends, youve got a lot more family, youve got a lot more of everything," he said. "For me, for getting a simple guy like myself, its not what I dream to do." He said he feared he might be sick because his energy was drained, then later realized that being in the spotlight required more energy. Watson also learned about the attention from his growing star power in France, when he joked about not knowing the names of some of the most famous landmarks and was criticized in Europe and at home. Self-deprecating as ever, Watson had no problem making fun of himself or the situation in France. When asked about the landmarks in New England, he said, "Theres a fence or something, isnt there? A green one?" He was only joking about Fenways "Green Monster." "I love the Yankees, sorry," he said. "Theyre all going to hate me, anyways." The FedEx Cup playoffs ended for Ian Poulter, Anthony Kim and Stewart Cink, among others. They missed the cut and already were outside the top 70 on the list of players who are trying to advance to Chicago. wholesale nfl jerseys . "Its questionable how fair it is to the others (teams) and the whole league system," Fasel said by telephone from Tokyo, where the governing body has its congress next week. "The integrity of the game is, for us, something very important. Its not just business," the world hockey leader said. "We play the game for the hockey fans, but sport should always be No. 1. Cheap Jerseys China . The injury occurred in the second period of the Penguins game against the Boston Bruins when Hossa collided knee-on-knee with Glen Murray. He immediately left the ice and did not return. The 29-year old Hossa was the Penguins prize acquisition at the NHLs Trade Deadline on Tuesday as he came from the Atlanta Thrashers along with forward Pascal Dupuis for forwards Colby Armstrong and Erik Christensen, top prospect Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft pick. http://www.cheapjerseys2014.us.com/[/ur... . Peralta has appealed, and can continue to play until the process is complete. The Rays were at Washington on Thursday night. Peralta was ejected from Tuesday nights game in Washington after umpires found pine tar on his mitt. [url=http://www.cheapjerseys2014.us.com/]wholesale jerseys China . After his 100-meter jump, Gruber pulled away from Wilhelm Denifl of Germany who won the jumping section, and cruised to his third career World Cup victory, covering the 10-kilometre distance in 27 minutes, 29. wholesale jerseys ., in 2016. The announcement was made Tuesday at a news conference at Istanbuls Sinan Erdem Arena on the eve of this years event.NEW YORK -- Jonathon Niese handed a five-run lead to the New York Mets bullpen, then watched from the bench as it started to unravel. Frank Francisco walked a pair of batters with the bases loaded and two outs in the ninth inning, then gave up a two-run double to Martin Prado that put the potential tying run on third and the go-ahead run on second. New York was on the verge of another collapse. And when Jason Heyward swung and missed at strike three, the slider was in the dirt and rolled under catcher Rob Johnson. Oh, oh, Mets fans. Only Johnson took his time, and his throw just beat Heyward for the final out. Mets 6, Braves 5. "That was tough. I cant sugarcoat that by any means," Niese said after Sunday nights goofy ending. "But they got the job done, and thats all that matters." Niese pitched six-hit ball over eight innings, and David Wright sparked the offence with a pair of doubles against Ben Sheets as the Mets salvaged the finale of a three-game series. "We needed this. We have not played well," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "I am not making any excuses. We have not played well on any side of the ball. So this win helped. I dont care how it came about. Im glad to get it." Rookie Josh Edgin and Francisco combined for four walks and hit a batter. The 63-year-old Collins might have put on a few years during the final three outs. "When you need wins, they age you a lot. I make Jays age right now," he said, turning to Jay Horwitz, the Mets 66-year-old vice-president of media relations. "And if I look like it, kill me." A night after the Braves battered Johan Santana, Niese (9-6) matched the second-longest outing of his big league career, allowing one run, striking out six and walking two. He has alternated good and bad outings -- and wins and losses -- in his last four starts. "I dont know if were doing our job getting him prepared or not to where that last ones overlooked," Collins said. Niese didnt think that was an issue. "I dont consider it me struggling very much, but I might have had a rough game here and there," he said. Edgin walked Chipper Jones on four pitches leading off the ninth, then hit Freddie Freeman with an 0-1 pitch. Dan Uggla struck out, Brian McCann flied out, and Edgin started Paul Janish off with a called strike before throwing four straight balls and loading the bases. Pitching on consecutive days for the first time since May 22-23, Francisco fell behind pinch-hitter Juan Francisco 3-0 and threw a called strike before five straight foul balls and then ball foour, forcing in a run.dddddddddddd He got behind Michael Bourn 2-0 and walked him on five pitches, forcing in another run. "They wore me out a little bit, and Im a little bit out of shape," Francisco said. Then Prado hit an opposite-field, two-run double to right on an 0-2 pitch. Bourn was held at third as right fielder Mike Baxter made a clean pickup. "It would have been really hard to send him there, and youve got the middle of the order up," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez explained. Jon Rauch came in and got Heyward to swing at a slider in the dirt for strike three. Johnson blocked the ball, then carefully threw on the foul side of the line to first as Heyward approached the bag. "The ball was underneath me when I blocked it," Johnson said. "Often times when a catcher is getting up, theyll kick the ball off. Thats why you have to take your time a little bit, so you dont kick the ball off." Rauch wouldnt give his opinion of the nerve-racking ending. "I got nothing to say. Just doing my job," he said at his locker, even before a question was asked. Sheets (4-2) had the poorest of his six outings this season, allowing five runs -- four earned -- and eight hits in six innings as his ERA rose from 1.41 to 2.13. He had pitched six scoreless innings in beating the Mets on July 15 in his return to the major leagues after a two-year absence. Leading the Mets with a .325 average, Wright doubled to put New York ahead in the first and scored twice on singles by Ike Davis. Rookie Jordany Valdespin, starting in place of slumping Jason Bay, hit his eighth homer in 140 at-bats this season. New York completed a 2-4 homestand and heads on a six-game trip to a pair of first-place teams in Cincinnati and Washington. While the Mets won for only the ninth time in 30 games, and for just the second time in 13 home games, Atlanta lost for the just the fourth time in 18. "I just love this team because we battled all the way to the end and we came up short," Prado said. "But we tried. We played hard. Thats the only thing that matters." NOTES: A night after Johan Santana allowed eight runs and got just four outs in his first start back from an ankle injury, Collins said the team isnt worried about the left shoulder and has no plans to end his season early. The two-time Cy Young Award winner missed 2011 following shoulder surgery. ... Torres in centre field made a jumping catch at the front of the warning track on McCanns drive that ended the fourth. ... Johnson started behind the plate instead of Josh Thole for the second time in the series. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes