Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

No. 1 defence - Off Topic Forum. - Country Music ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

No. 1 defence

Started by zake201, 2014/04/08 05:12AM
Latest post: 2014/04/08 05:12AM, Views: 337, Posts: 1
No. 1 defence
#1   2014/04/08 05:12AM
zake201
There is having the ability to create success, and then there is having that ability to sustain success. There is no argument that the Winnipeg Blue Bombers were the best team after the first eight games of the 2011 season, with a 7-1 record. But they finished the season at 10-8, which means over the last 10 games they went 3-7. That is Bomber football reality. So, can you be critical of a team that made it to the Grey Cup and did have an opportunity to win? Not really. But you can say with conviction that if the Bombers are to make it back they will have to improve in key areas. And here is the most significant. Last year the Bombers were dead last in the CFL on offence in two-and-outs. No team took the field on offence, ran two plays, and punted more than Winnipeg. It gives opposition punter returners extra opportunities to make a great return, and frustrates a defence as they have little time to discuss, regroup, and catch their breath. An amazing 43 per cent of the time, the Bombers went two-and-out over the season. Thats 116 times, averaging almost seven times per game. In all aspects of football that is the No. 1 improvement point of priority. That is the negative, now here is the positive: the best defence in the CFL. Winnipeg without the ball was at their best in 2011. They were first overall in: fewest yards allowed, fewest pass yards allowed, quarterback sacks, fewest second-to-first downs for the opposition, takeaways, and interceptions. They were also third in fewest points allowed and in rushing yards allowed. And - this is the best part - they have the same defensive coordinator back in Tim Burke. They really dont have to fix much, just maintain the engine which revolves around youth and speed. For the Bombers to represent the East, there are some key battles and individuals to watch. First, Gary Crowton as the new offensive coordinator, with no CFL experience but a resume of coaching experience second to nobody. How he adapts to CFL football, and how his players adapt to him will be interesting to watch. At middle linebacker, will it be Henoc Muamba or Pierre-Luc Labbe? Both were excellent CIS players that have to effectively play in a high profile position. Saskatchewan is trying to play a Canadian middle linebacker with three to choose from: Shomari Williams, Sam Hurl from the University of Calgary, or Mike McCullough, the incumbent. The best Canadian middle linebacker I ever played against was Mike OShea in Toronto. Winnipeg needs to find their Mike OShea to win a Grey Cup. And a third issue will be Buck Pierce. Not so much his playing ability, but his protection. Buck took about five hits last year, in which any of the five could have ended a career. Some were his fault, others had nothing to do with him, but there is an immense difference between being tackled and taking a shot of the violent intensity that Pierce experienced. That has to change. The Blue Bombers are a good team, but they are not a great team...yet. They have to play better in the first quarter and in some cases the first half, because last year it seemed they were constantly playing "catch-up" football. But with excellent attendance each and every game and a really "good looking" stadium in the future, it is fun to be a Bomber fan right now. The truth is the East is a better division this year than last. Both Toronto and in some ways Hamilton have improved and Montreal will not be as injury-devastated in the secondary again for two years in a row. Tough division with the other three quarterbacks in the prime of experience and proven results with Calvillo, Ray and Burris. All have won relatively recent Grey Cups. Winnipeg hasnt for over 10 years and counting. The Bombers must improve to repeat as the East representative at the Grey Cup - thats reality. cheap jerseys . The blowout didnt last, but their winning streak did. Durant had 32 points and just missed what could have been the dunk of his career, Russell Westbrook added 25 points and nine assists, and the Thunder held off the Brooklyn Nets 117-111 on Tuesday night for their sixth straight victory. nfl jerseys china . However, Sinclair was thoroughly disappointed to see that her coach, John Herdman, wasnt in the running either. "It didnt really affect me at all," Sinclair said of the womens award. http://www.chinanfljerseyswholesal... . But considering how much the Miami Marlins are struggling, maybe its not all that surprising. "Its just a tough time right now for me and a lot of people," Nolasco said. [url=http://www.chinanfljerseyswholesale.com/]cheap jerseys from china . -- Although Mike Richards and a couple of his Los Angeles teammates might have information that could help the Vancouver Canucks out of a daunting playoff deficit, dont expect them to give it up. wholesale jerseys from china . raced to his second NASCAR Trucks Series victory of the year Saturday night, passing Matt Crafton on the final lap at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. MIAMI -- Miami Dolphins rookie Ryan Tannehill had a so-so showing Friday night, which was more than some of his offensive teammates could say. In his first game as the Dolphins starting quarterback, Tannehill went 11 for 27 for 112 yards and one interception, and Miami lost to the Atlanta Falcons 23-6. Four of Tannehills passes were dropped, including a potential 4-yard touchdown throw that Anthony Fasano bobbled in the end zone. Shaky pass protection was also a problem for Tannehill, who was sacked once, forced to run twice and hit several other times. "We didnt have a whole lot of rhythm," coach Joe Philbin said. "There were a couple that were dropped. Im sure there were a couple where the accuracy could have been better. There were others where we could have had better protection. You know how that goes. Usually when it rains, it pours. It wasnt pretty at all." Miami (No. 27 in the AP Pro32) fell to 0-3, and with the regular season two weeks away, first-year coach Philbin said hes concerned about the state of his team. "We have a lot of work to do," Philbin said. "Weve got to get better in a hurry." Atlanta (No. 13) improved to 1-2. "I was really pleased with some of the things we did tonight," coach Mike Smith said. "The effort was good in all three phases." The Falcons held Miami to three points in Tannehills seven possessions. Atlantas first-team offence couldnt muster a touchdown, either, until Miamis defensive starters left the game at halftime. Matt Ryan played midway into the third quarter and went 18 for 26 for 220 yards, including a 20-yard touchdown to Roddy White against reserves. "We moved the ball pretty effectively, but we made mistakes on third down and in the red zone," Ryan said. "All in all, not bad." Both teams played their starters for the entire first half, when the Falcons outgained the Dolphins 175-166 and took a 9-3 lead. Dominique Davis, an undrafted rookie free agent bidding to become Ryans backup, hit Tim Toone deep for a 39-yaard score in the fourth quarter.dddddddddddd Tannehill was given the No. 1 job this week, but his promotion failed to inspire an offence that has sputtered this exhibition season. His best sequence was a 13-play, 78-yard drive that reached the 4, but his third-down pass went through Fasanos hands, and Miami kicked a field goal. "I feel confident in where Im at right now," Tannehill said. "Were really close. Its just a mistake here and a mistake there." Tannehills interception came on a tipped pass that was caught by safety Thomas DeCoud. The rookies quarterback rating was 37.9, but he said the speed of the game has slowed down since he began training camp. "I felt like I had a great handle on everything that was going on," he said. "All the different looks they were showing I felt like I understood. I could see what they were doing. I didnt feel like I was confused at any point in the game. Its a fast game, and youve got to play fast. I felt like as an offence we played fast. We just didnt execute to a T." Miamis Reggie Bush, who played only briefly, ran for 18 yards on the first play of the game and finished with 17 on five carries. Receiver is considered perhaps the thinnest area for the Dolphins, and they totalled seven dropped passes, including three by tight end Fasano. The Falcons moved the ball well in their own territory. They started one possession at their 11, and on the first play Ryan hit Julio Jones deep for 49 yards. That led to one of three field goals by Matt Bryant. "We just took our shots," Jones said. "Were trying to be an explosive team." Ryan led Atlanta 66 yards for a touchdown against backups. Michael Turner carried 10 times for 35 yards, and Jones made four catches for 90 yards. The Dolphins No. 1 defence got off the field without giving up points for the first time this exhibition season by stopping the Falcons on downs on the opening series. Cameron Wake finished with 1 1/2 sacks for Miami. The final eight minutes were played in heavy rain. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes