Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

enger001; whatthewot; cheatermcgirljeans: I guess ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

enger001; whatthewot; cheatermcgirljeans: I guess the se

Started by lili, 2014/04/15 06:50AM
Latest post: 2014/04/15 06:50AM, Views: 308, Posts: 1
enger001; whatthewot; cheatermcgirljeans: I guess the se
#1   2014/04/15 06:50AM
lili
MIAMI -- Balmy sea breeze is just what the Miami Marlins needed to snap their slump and beat Josh Beckett. Some heat from Josh Johnson helped, too. Desperate for a turnaround, the Marlins opened their retractable roof for the first time in nearly two months Monday night, took to the outdoor setting and snapped a six-game losing streak with a 4-1 win over Beckett and the Boston Red Sox. Johnson outpitched his former teammate, and rookie Donovan Solano drove in two runs as the Marlins improved to 1-6 on their homestand. Theyre 3-2 with the roof of their new ballpark open. "It helped a little, because there was a little different feel in the ballpark," said Heath Bell, who struck out the side in the ninth. "You could feel it a little more electric. I think the fans really liked it. I think we should do it once in a while." There was also a lively atmosphere afterward in the Marlins clubhouse, where heavy metal played on a boombox. "Finally we start listening to music," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "It was dead there for the past couple of days. These guys feelings are hurt when theyre not winning. Hopefully this win against a good pitcher takes us on another hot streak." The Red Sox, last in the AL East, lost for the seventh time in eight games. A recent run of fine pitching against the Sox has contributed to their slump, manager Bobby Valentine said. "I dont think theyre pressing," he said. "Theyre trying very hard against real good pitchers." Beckett (4-7), the Marlins post-season star when they won the World Series in 2003, pitched against them for the first time. He fell behind 4-0 after two innings but didnt allow another hit, retiring 14 in a row. He departed for a pinch hitter after seven innings and didnt talk to reporters after the game. Johnson (4-4) also went seven innings, allowing four hits and one run. "Hes pretty tough," Valentine said. "He had that 95 mph fastball going. It was elevating against some of our guys. He did a good job. Every fire he put out." Bell completed a five-hitter for his 13th save in 17 chances. To change their luck, the Marlins opened the retractable roof on their new ballpark for the first time since April 18. President of baseball operations Larry Beinfest came up with the idea. "He said, We cant trade for 25 guys, so lets open the roof," team president David Samson said. "This is our version of a slump buster." On an unusually mild June evening, with low humidity and a temperature of 79 at game time, the Marlins played better from the start. They scored three times in the first inning to lead for only the second time since the homestand began. Solano, in the lineup because Guillen gave second baseman Omar Infante the night off, had a hit and drove in two runs. Hes batting .455. Gaby Sanchez singled for his second RBI in as many games since being recalled from Triple-A. The Marlins went 2 for 3 with runners in scoring position after going 5 for 50 in those situations previously during the homestand. "Lately we werent able to get the big hit, but today we were able to do that early in the game," said Jose Reyes, who scored Miamis first run. Johnson needed 27 pitches to get through the first inning. After the first two batters reached he settled down, retiring 11 in a row during one stretch. "It took me two batters to get my rhythm, but I made some good pitches when I needed to," Johnson said. Scott Podsednik singled in the sixth and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Adrian Gonzalez. But five of the final nine Boston batters struck out. Reyes, playing on his 29th birthday, led off the first with a triple and scored on Solanos sacrifice fly. Giancarlo Stanton singled and scored from first when Logan Morrison doubled and right fielder Gonzalez bobbled the ball for an error. Sanchez followed with a run-scoring single. Solano had a two-out RBI single in the second inning off Beckett, who fell to 0-3 in his past four starts. NOTES: Red Sox OF Daniel Nava (sore left hand) again sat out. ... Boston OF Cody Ross, sidelined since May 18 with a broken bone in his left foot, is scheduled to begin a rehabilitation assignment Thursday with Triple-A Pawtucket. ... Marlins LHP Mark Buehrle, scheduled to start Tuesday, has a chance to tie Kenny Rogers record of 11 consecutive wins in interleague games. ... The video scoreboard showed highlights of the Heats victory over the Celtics in the NBA Eastern Conference finals, which drew boos from Red Sox fans in the crowd. holdjersey . For the time being, anyway. This is hardly the kind of firm hold on the division they owned last October. Alex Smith threw a 12-yard touchdown pass to Delanie Walker late in the third quarter and San Francisco held off the Seattle Seahawks 13-6 on Thursday night as the 49ers won their long-awaited division opener. nba holdjersey . The 21-year-old was named the U.S. Soccer Young Male Athlete of the Year in 2010. Toronto was one of six MLS teams in Thursdays lottery and held a 57. http://www.holdjersey.com/ . "My relationship with Penn State and everything was a great experience and they gave me some excellent opportunities," Silas Redd told reporters Monday night. nfl holdjersey . Coach Andy Reid said Foles will remain the starter for the rest of the season, even when Michael Vick returns from a concussion. cheap jerseys . -- Groupie Doll charged down the middle of the track to win the $1 million Filly & Mare Sprint, restoring some order to a Breeders Cup dominated by long-shot winners.Got a question on rule clarification, comments on rule enforcements or some memorable NHL stories? Kerry Fraser wants to answer your emails at cmonref@tsn.ca! Just finished watching the game as a hockey fan. Im neither partisan to the Kings or Devils but came away frustrated over the officiating once again during these playoffs. If Im a Devils fan, the first goal of the game (by Alec Martinez) should have been whistled down. There is no way where the referee is standing, can he see the puck that at one point was under Martin Brodeurs pad and in my opinion, it was long enough to whistle down. Only with the crowds roar did he realize to look in the net where he did the same gesture with his right arm frantically pointing at the puck in the net!There had to be at least a few seconds of no sight of the puck. Long enough to blow a whistle? J. Ferraro Dear J: In a scramble when the referee is positioned on the opposite side of the net from the location of the puck he can often find himself caught between a rock and a hard place; either by blowing the whistle prematurely when the puck isnt covered or allow it to be dug out from the goalies grasp. I dont offer this as an excuse but let me attempt to explain the reality of the situation and how a referee can respond best to get this play right. First let me say that Martin Brodeur had that puck covered with his left pad one the initial shot and protected it with the blade of his stick. If referee Dan OHalloran had been on that side of the net he too would have seen this and hopefully blown the play dead. Rule 85.3 - puck out of sight is often the catchall referenced by television commentators and hockey analysts as to when the play should be whistled dead. While that is not always the case in a practical application the rule reads: "Should a scramble take place or a player accidentally fall on the puck and the puck be out of sight of the Referee, he shall immediately blow his whistle and stop the play." The problem with interpreting the "immediately stop play" phrase to the letter is that there are many times when the referee finds himself in a position where he will lose sight of the puck in a scramble but it remains uncovered. I can also cause me fits when I hear commentators say, "The referee was in perfect position" when in fact he is in a deficient position (often through no fault of his own) to see the puck. In cases such as last night on the first goal credited to Alec Martinez unless the referee had x-ray vision he would not have known for sure if the puck was covered or loose. It is the referees job to find the location of the puck "immediately" by moving quickly to gain the best sight line or trust his instinct and gut reaction on a play of this nature. There were times early in my career when I found myself in the very same position as the referee last night and I lost sight of the puck and killed the play in error thinking that the goalie had it covered. At times such as this the puck usually found the back of the net simultaneously with my whistle. I quickly learned (the hard way) that I had to do whatever necessary to find that puck even if it meant jumping on top of the net on rare occasions. Having been victiimized with a quick whistle a couple of times I developed more patience during scrambles but moved my feet as fast I could to gain the best sightline before making a decision to kill the play.dddddddddddd Last night it was a quick play and movement from one side of the net to the other would not have been a practical option for the referee. This is where a good read of the play and gut instinct needs to be applied. The last thing that I allowed was for a player to bang away and make contact with the goalkeeper either with his stick or body. When a player makes contact with the goalies pad, glove or body I knew the attacker was not striking at a loose puck but making some attempt to dislodge a puck that was covered. Once Dwight King took a couple of good whacks at Brodeurs pad and the goalies position was altered the whistle would have been moving to my mouth with intent to kill the play. Should the puck enter the net following my intention to blow the whistle the goal would be disallowed. Let me mention just a couple of examples that occurred this season and playoffs where the referee should have employed this philosophy but instead allowed play to continue. Kris Letang scored a game winner in OT after returning from having his nose broken on a high hit by Max Pacioretty (3 gm suspension). Carey Price had the frozen puck dug out of his catching glove with the referee on the opposite side of the net and Letang fired home the game winner. Chris Neal pushed Henrik Lundqvist off a covered puck with his stick that resulted in a goal being allowed during a 2-1 Rangers win in their playoff series. While the Rangers still won the game the goal broke Lundqvists goose egg and caused the All-World goalie to lose his mind in postgame interviews. Mike Smith covered the puck with his catching glove and had it skewered from underneath it by an attacking player. Not only was the puck knocked loose but Smiths catching glove ended up behind the net along with the puck. Play was allowed to continue as Smith dangerously played without the protection of his catching glove. While no goal resulted a quick instinct decision by the referee would have deemed the puck sufficiently covered for a stoppage of play. In an effort to determine frozen pucks my best advice for the referees is to quickly attack the net in a goalmouth scramble to find the puck. Move to the side where the puck is being played to determine if it is in fact covered. If that is not possible trust your instinct based on goalie position and actions of the attacking player(s). Whatever you do, dont allow attacking players to bang away at the goalie! When all else fails apply rule 85.3 when you lose sight of the puck! Update from Kerry at 6pm et: Back at theavenger001; whatthewot; cheatermcgirljeans: I guess the second paragraph wasnt clear and concise enough for you. I cant be any clearer than this -- "The whistle should have blown to stop play therefore the goal should NOT HAVE COUNTED!" For a personally autographed copy of Final Call from TSN hockey analyst and former NHL referee Kerry Fraser, visit The Book Keeper website. For a regular copy of Final Call from TSN hockey analyst and former NHL referee Kerry Fraser, visit here. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes