Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

Fleetwood and Scotlands Marc W - Off Topic Forum. ...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

Fleetwood and Scotlands Marc W

Started by zake201, 2014/04/23 07:15AM
Latest post: 2014/04/23 07:15AM, Views: 299, Posts: 1
Fleetwood and Scotlands Marc W
#1   2014/04/23 07:15AM
zake201
MONTREAL -- The numbers are not pretty for Eric Staal so far and the one that sticks out most is a nasty minus-17 in the first 18 games of the NHL regular season. No one is more aware of his troubles than the gifted captain of the Carolina Hurricanes himself, who is normally a strong two-way player. "Not very good, thats pretty obvious," was how Staal described his play Tuesday as the Hurricanes prepared to face the Montreal Canadiens at the Bell Centre. "The last few games Ive got better, but Im an offensive guy. Ive contributed offensively all my career. "Its been a tough go here. That doesnt mean there arent other parts of my game I havent liked, but everyone looks at the numbers, the plus-minus and those things. But there are a lot of games left and I can still improve my game and feel more comfortable with who Im playing with. The bottom line is to help the team get wins." Staal, who has averaged nearly a point per game in his eight-year career, had only four goals and four assists as the Hurricanes got off a 6-9-3 start. It got so bad that, after going seven games without a point, coach Paul Maurice last week moved the career centre to left wing on a line with pivot Brandon Sutter and Chad Larose. Staal hasnt played the wing since the 2010 Winter Olympics, when his centre on the Canadian team was captain Sidney Crosby. The Thunder bay, Ont., native responded to the move with a goal and two assists in the next two games. "At that point I was willing to try whatever," he said. "When youre minus a bunch and youre not contributing on the offensive side its frustrating. "Its been pretty good so far. Im feeing more comfortable. Im liking who Im on the ice with, so its been good." Maurice hopes Staal and the 22-year-old Sutter, the 11th overall pick in 2007, can develop a symbiotic relationship that will help both be more productive. "Weve seen it work in the Olympics, mind you, its a lot to ask Brandon Sutter to be Sidney Crosby, but Brandons our guy there," said Maurice. "Some of it is for Staal but some is for Sutter, who on our team gets the tough jobs. "Hes supposed to shut down (the opponents top players) every night and he still finds a way to score 20 goals, as a young man. So were trying to develop him into an elite centre and push his minutes up and get him to believe that its not all defence all the time. Hes capable of doing more." The line may do better now that opposing teams have begun to pay more attention to the so-called second line led by 19-year-old winger Jeff Skinner, who has averaged a point per game to lead the team in scoring. The Staal-Sutter combination also gives the line two strong faceoff men, one right-handed and the other a leftie, which should help them win more draws and spend more time with the puck instead of chasing it. Staal, who had 31 goals and 76 points in 81 games last season, wants to see his numbers rise no matter what position he plays. "Its hard to put a finger on it," he said. "There hasnt been a lot of room. "You get opportunities, but not those Grade A chances you want. Im getting guys in my face quite often, but those are things you have to battle through and find that open ice. Ive got to do a better job of that and if I do, the opportunities will start to come and the pucks will go in the back of the net." Erik Cole, Staals former winger, was expected to struggle without his gifted centre when he signed last summer as a free agent with Montreal. But Cole has been all of the big, speedy winger the Canadiens hoped for. Instead, it is Staal who has been slow off the mark. The two are friends and got together Monday night when the Hurricanes arrived in town. "Theres no question he was part of my success and vice versa," said Staal. "The defencemen are intimidated by that speed because he can bury you if he gets a head of steam on the wing. "For me, it opened up the ice a bit. Hes not easy to simulate, but were still finding ways to generate offence and the last couple of games weve been a bit better at that." Losing Cole was a blow to Carolina, particularly since they didnt replace him with a top signing of their own. "We were two points from being in the playoffs and you want to improve," added Staal. "Obviously wed have liked to keep Erik, but sometimes thats the way it goes. You get other teams vying for these guys and thats what happened. We werent able to keep him, but thats behind us and now were trying to improve with the group we have." It has been suggested, and rejected by Staal, that he has been bothered by a crushing hit he put on his brother Marc in a game against the New York Rangers last season. Marc Staal suffered a concussion and has yet to return. Eric Staal said he visited his brother last week. "I havent been affected," he said. "He was back playing after I made the check. There were a lot of decisions made by him and the Rangers after the fact. For me, its a hockey hit, one of those things, for him and for me. Its behind us. Hes on the right track to getting back." Staals numbers dont look quite as bad when compared to some other forwards from the 2010 Canadian team. Jarome Iginla had five goals and was minus-10 and Rick Nash had four goals and was minus-12, each after 17 games. The one doing best was Bostons Patrice Bergeron, the utility forward on Canadas team, who had 13 points and is plus-10 in 16 games. ray ban outlet . Billups tore the tendon on February 6 and was expected to need eight months to recover. However, the veteran guard is already back on court working out, though he has yet to play five-on-five. cheap ray ban . Elmander is Swedens only major injury worry, with the Galatasaray forward struggling to recover from a fracture in his right foot. He worked out separately on Thursday while the rest of squad held their first training session in Ukraine on the outskirts of Kyiv. http://www.officialraybansun... . -- Chad Johnson understands many were writing him off after his forgettable 2011 season with the New England Patriots. [url=http://www.officialraybansunglassesoutlet.com/]Ray Ban Outlet Mall . -- Yanina Wickmayer of Belgium beat Taiwans Chang Kai-chen 7-5, 2-6, 7-5 on Monday in the first-round of the Bank of the West Classic. Ray Ban Aviators Sunglasses . "Its only fitting that the day took pretty long," a relieved Volstad said Sunday after pitching the Chicago Cubs to a 5-0 win over the Colorado Rockies. The start of the game was delayed 2 hours, 23 minutes by rain, and there was another weather interruption of 30 minutes after the eighth inning before the game was called. ST. ANDREWS -- Northern Irelands Michael Hoey resisted the challenge of illustrious compatriots Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell to win the Dunhill Links Championship by two shots on Sunday, continuing his countrys recent success story in world golf. Hoey, ranked No. 271, saw his three-shot overnight lead vanish within six holes of the final round but regrouped well, birdying three of the last four holes to close with a 4-under 68. His 22-under total broke the tournament record, set by Lee Westwood eight years ago, by one shot. The third-ranked McIlroys closing 65 gave him second place -- two shots clear of McDowell (69) and Scotlands George Murray (67), who finished tied for third. A third career title earned Hoey a winners check of C588,148 (US$800,000) but it was the way he held off the advances of his fellow Ulstermen -- the U.S. Open champions present and past -- that pleased him most. "They are major champions ... they have been my inspirations," said Hoey, who has struggled to fulfil his potential after winning the British Amateur title in 2001. "Its taken me a long time to kick on. My belief has been high and low but I got my consistency back this week ... Winning the Dunhill Links, it doesnt get much better." Hoey led, or held a share of the lead, after every round of this weeks prestigious pro-am played over three of Scotlands best courses -- St. Andrews, Carnoustie and Kingsbarns. "My short games been the best its ever been this week," said Hoey, who shot 66s in his first three rounds. Hoey became the latest Northern Irishman to capture a big title, with McIlroy, McDowell and current British Open champion Darren Clarke having won majors over the last 15 months. This was the first-ever Northern Irish 1-2-3 at a European Tour event. McIlroy, seeking a fourth career win and first since the U.S. Open in June, started the day five shots adrift of Hoey but holing a wedge for an eagle at the par-4 No. 3 helped him eat into his countrymans advantage as the morning rain finally relented. After six holes, McIlroy, McDowell and Hoey were all level on 18 under under overcast skies and McIlroy pulled a shot clear after making birdies at Nos.dddddddddddd 7, 9 and 11. By that stage, he was closing in on the course record of 63 he set at the British Open last year. But the 22-year-old McIlroy failed to pick up a shot in his final seven holes and was reeled back in by Hoey, his old playing partner in Belfast and someone he looked up to as a budding amateur. "Its good to see all us boys up there but Im obviously disappointed it wasnt me thats lifting the trophy," said McIlroy, who looked at home this week on the links, 2 1/2 months after becoming disillusioned with that style of golf at a wet and wild British Open at Royal St. Georges. "But considering that I was 3 over after 11 holes in this tournament, Ive come back and played some really good golf. Ive still got a few tournaments left this year to try to get a win or two." The pace of play was snail-like, with Hoey, Graeme McDowell and Louis Oosthuizen -- playing in the final group -- taking almost three hours to complete first nine holes. "I struggled at the start but the pace of play actually helped me a bit," Hoey said. "And Graeme was great to play with -- he said knock it in a few times on the greens." Like McIlroy, the 15th-ranked McDowell only made one birdie on the back nine, with a host of putts slipping by the cup, but still left St. Andrews happy after finding his form following a poor summer. "Great things are ahead for me. Im much happier with my game. But when a guy plays like Michael played down the stretch, you cant have any complaints," McDowell said. "No-one lost the tournament today, Michael just played fantastic." Oosthuizen began the final round four shots off the lead but couldnt recreate the glories of his British Open win at St. Andrews last year, a closing 69 leaving him tied for fifth on 17 under with Englands Tommy Fleetwood and Scotlands Marc Warren. Three-time major winner Padraig Harrington (69) was a shot back, a stroke clear of top-ranked Luke Donald (70) and seven others. Second-ranked Lee Westwood shot 73 and was 11 strokes behind Hoey on 10 under. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes