Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

ame second in the - Off Topic Forum. - Country Mu...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

ame second in the

Started by zake201, 2014/04/25 03:39AM
Latest post: 2014/04/25 03:39AM, Views: 298, Posts: 1
ame second in the
#1   2014/04/25 03:39AM
zake201
TORONTO -- Paul Mariner is of two minds ahead of Toronto FCs exhibition clash with one of Europes most storied clubs. The TFC coach wants to put in a good effort against Liverpool on Saturday, but also sees the need to rest key players in a meaningless match that comes at a particularly gruelling time in the schedule. "I think everybody knows weve had a very interesting month or so," Mariner said at a press conference Friday. "(But) I think we want to give a good show." Toronto FC, which will meet Liverpool on a temporary sod pitch at Rogers Centre, has played 10 times since June 16 but Mariner says whatever team he fields will be ready. "I dont think we want to let ourselves down," he said. "I know the players absolutely wont let themselves down." A group of players who wont be putting on a show are the Liverpool stars who took part in the recent European Championships. A press release on Wednesday stated that England internationals Steven Gerrard, Glen Johnson, Andy Carroll, Stuart Downing and Jordan Henderson would be in the squad travelling to Toronto. But in a another statement released less than 24 hours before kickoff, organizers announced that "due to FIFA regulations surrounding mandatory vacation dates" following international tournaments, all players who took part in Euro 2012 would miss out on the trip to Canada. Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, who took over the club for the fired Kenny Dalglish on June 1, bristled at the suggestion Canadian fans would be disappointed with his lineup. "I think we have a lot of big players here, some of the core of the group thats going to be very very important to us and we have some stars of the future -- young players," said the 39-year-old Rodgers. "Of course we have some players that arent here but the reason theyre not here is that they have to recover. "I dont think it takes away from the players that weve got -- top international players, players that are multi-skilled and players that will fight for the shirt." Mariner is also planning to field a squad that will include players who have yet to see first-team action, as well as some members of TFCs youth system. He adds the game should be viewed more as a chance to evaluate what Toronto has in the cupboard. "This is an ideal opportunity for us to see what weve got. The game is the biggest teacher," he said. "Whether its a scouting game or a training game or any game -- the games the best teacher. Its much better than training. You can learn so much about your players." Toronto FC is 4-2-4 since Mariner took over for the fired Aron Winter after a dreadful 1-9-0 start, and the former England international is wary of a slip up in form against Liverpool. "We just want to keep things going. Were not going to do anything different," said Mariner, whose team faces another critical league game at home against Houston on July 28. "Were just going to play our game and play our shape and our disciplined game and see what happens." Toronto FC midfielder Terry Dunfield expects to take part in at least some of Saturdays match and says its a chance for players to see how they stack up against top-level competition. "Its a great opportunity for some of the younger guys to show what they can do, not just in a reserve game but in a full on first-team game with a big crowd," said the Canadian international. "Well see what some the young guys are made of." Toronto FC defender Richard Eckersley is from England and understands the importance of a game against a Premier League powerhouse. "Were representing the MLS and its huge for us," Eckersley said. "If we can put on a good show hopefully theyll have more respect for us." Liverpool, which has won Englands top division 18 times, will take on Italys A.S. Roma at Bostons Fenway Park on Wednesday, before meeting Premier League rivals Tottenham on July 28 in Baltimore. Organizers say all of the missing England internationals will be available to take part in those two games. Liverpool comes to North America with renewed hope. The club has failed to contend in the Premier League of late and will miss out on the Champions League for a third straight campaign in 2012-13. Dalglish, a Liverpool legend as a player, was fired after an eighth-place finish last season and replaced with Rodgers, who led Swansea Citys promotion to the Premier League and oversaw the clubs 11th-place finish in 2011-12. Rodgers, who will be managing his first game with Liverpool on Saturday, say its an honour to lead such a storied club. "You always hope when you start coaching or playing that you could work at one of the biggest clubs in the world and at 39 years of age Ive been pretty fortunate," he said. "It doesnt frighten me or daunt me, it inspires me and excites me. The history of the club is a real motivation for me." Notes: Newly acquired forward Eric Hassli wont make it to Toronto in time for the friendly match. He was acquired in a trade with the Vancouver Whitecaps late Friday. ... Liverpool starting goalkeeper Pepe Reina (Spain) and striker Fabio Borini (Italy) also did not make the trip to Toronto. ... Liverpool strikers Craig Bellamy (Britain) and Luis Suarez (Uruguay) are scheduled to play for their respective countries at the London Olympics are not on the North American tour. ... Both Toronto FC and Liverpool practised on the Rogers Centre turf on Friday with the roof open. Rodgers said the temporary pitch laid over the concrete floor "isnt so good" but he added that hes confident it wont be an issue on Saturday. Cheap Jerseys . Zito pitched the NL West-leading Giants past the Los Angeles Dodgers 4-0 on Sunday night to extend their division lead to 5 1/2 games, coming through in among the most important outings of his tenure on this side of the bay. Wholesale Jerseys From China . "Hes getting better and better, so were hopeful," said Henrik after practice Monday. Daniel Sedin was injured March 21 when he took an elbow in the head from Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith. http://www.nflwholesalecheap... . According to CBSSports.com, outfielder Juan Pierre has agreed to a deal to return to the Marlins. Juan C. Rodriguez of The Sun Sentinel is reporting that the deal is for one-year that will pay Pierre $1. [url=http://www.nflwholesalecheapjerseysonline.com/]Cheap Jerseys From China Online . raced to his second NASCAR Trucks Series victory of the year Saturday night, passing Matt Crafton on the final lap at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Cheap NFL Jerseys China .J. Burnett was more concerned about stopping a team streak than extending his own run.PHILADELPHIA -- Watching a replay gave Bryan Little the advantage he needed. Little had the only goal during a shootout, lifting the Winnipeg Jets to a 2-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday night. The Jets have won six straight games in Philadelphia, including four when they were the Atlanta Thrashers, since a 5-3 loss on Jan. 21, 2009. The franchise has beaten the Flyers in nine of the last 10 meetings. Chris Thorburn scored his first goal in nearly a year for Winnipegs lone tally in regulation. Brayden Schenn scored for Philadelphia in the first period. The Flyers have gone to a shootout in three straight games, winning one. They are 1-4 in shootouts this season, scoring just five times on 15 shots. Ondrej Pavelec stopped Sean Couturier, Claude Giroux and Jaromir Jagr in the shootout. Ilya Bryzgalov had allowed goals on all five shootout attempts hed faced before stopping Kyle Wellwood and Blake Wheeler. But Little slid one under Bryzgalovs pads to win it. "When Wellwood shot, I saw the replay. (Bryzgalov) kind of left the five-hole open," Little said. "I just decided to give him a little fake and see if it might open up again, so it worked. Wheeler actually tried to go five-hole, but I think he just shot it early, so he closed up right away. I think you have an advantage when you go third because you get to watch the replay of what the goalie does each time the guy shoots, so I definitely made my decision when I saw Wellwood go down." The teams combined for 27 goals in their two previous meetings, including Winnipegs 9-8 victory at the Wells Fargo Center on Oct. 27. But this was hardly the same. Neither club registered a shot until the Jets took one on Bryzgalov 10:36 into the first. The victory was Winnipegs second in five shootouts and fourth in 13 games since the calendar turned to 2012. Pavelec stuffed all-star Scott Hartnell on a 2-on-1 breakaway to keep it one-all with 8:38 left in the third period, and it stayed ttied the rest of the way.dddddddddddd "We battled hard, we had a couple scoring chances, but we couldnt score," Pavelec said. "We found a way to win, and its a huge two points for us. Phillys a tough team to play against. We played a pretty good game. It wasnt easy for us, but we found a way to win." Schenn gave the Flyers a 1-0 lead with 4:49 left in the first period when he scored his fourth goal of the season during a power play. Matt Carle took a crossing pass from Jagr and fired a shot at Pavelec. The rebound bounced in front and Schenn took a few whacks at it until it slid between Pavelecs pads. "I just banged away and the puck crossed the line by about an inch," Schenn said. The Flyers nearly went up 2-0 a minute later, but Pavelec made a glove save on a point-blank shot by Couturier. Winnipeg tied it when Thorburn scored his first goal in 60 games early in the second period. Thorburns wrister from the slot sailed past Bryzgalov for his first goal since March 19, 2011, against Buffalo. Jagr almost put the Flyers back ahead a few minutes later, but his one-timer hit the crossbar. Despite the loss, Philadelphia coach Peter Laviolette was impressed with Bryzgalov. "He was excellent," Laviolette said. "There were lots of opportunities and lots of attempts, but our guy held us in there. They have a high-scoring team. We knew going into it that they were going to generate chances and that we would need good goaltending, and we got it." Notes: Jagr was back in the lineup after missing two games with a groin injury. ... The Flyers are 30-10-7 against Winnipeg/Atlanta since it joined the NHL in 1999. They were 29-3-1 against the franchise from 1999-2009. ... Giroux, who entered the game second in the NHL in points, hasnt scored a goal in 12 games. ... Thorburn followed his goal with a spirited fight against Tom Sestito in the third period. ... The Flyers are 1-7-3 against the Winnipeg franchise since a 14-game winning streak from 2003-09. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes