Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

l 18 seconds of the half, but sat out the remainde...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

l 18 seconds of the half, but sat out the remainder

Started by zake201, 2014/04/26 04:11AM
Latest post: 2014/04/26 04:11AM, Views: 310, Posts: 1
l 18 seconds of the half, but sat out the remainder
#1   2014/04/26 04:11AM
zake201
SAN DIEGO -- Things got so easy for the San Diego Padres on Monday night they spent the last few innings trying to make history. Cameron Maybin hit a two-run homer, Will Venable had three RBIs and the Padres handed the struggling St. Louis Cardinals an 11-3 loss. The Padres had 17 hits and scored more than one run in five different innings. They scored five runs in their last two at-bats to break open the game and give both Logan Forsythe and Maybin the opportunity to become the first player in franchise history to hit for the cycle. Forsythe struck out in each of his last two at-bats, including in the eighth inning when he took such mighty cuts he nearly lifted himself off the ground -- and fell a home run short of the cycle. "I got away from my approach and tried too hard to make something happen," Forsythe said. "I kind of had to try because it hadnt been done before." San Diego and Miami are the only teams in the majors who have not had a player hit for the cycle. The Padres are also the only team to have not thrown a no-hitter. The Padres were aware of it on the bench and were pulling for Forsythe and Maybin, who needed a double in his last at-bat in the eighth for the cycle. Maybin walked. When someone told Forsythe he didnt get cheated on his swings in the eighth, he said, "No, but it cost me. I learned from it. I wont be doing that again. I tried once and that was good enough." The loss dropped the Cardinals 9 1-2 games behind first-place Cincinnati in the NL Central. The Reds beat Pittsburgh 4-3 in 14 innings. St. Louis, which has lost four of five, had its lead cut to one game over the idle Los Angeles Dodgers for the second NL wild-card berth. "Ugly," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny. "We got a lead, quickly lost it, then couldnt get it stopped. We just had a rough time getting people out." Maybin connected for his seventh homer off Jaime Garcia (4-7) that broke a 2-all tie in the fourth inning. Maybin scored three runs. Chris Denorfia tied his career high with four hits and also had two RBIs. Forsythe added three hits to tie his career high as San Diego matched its season best for runs. "I liked the fact we had Garcia on the ropes in the first, even though he wiggled out of it," San Diego manager Bud Black said about the Padres loading the bases but not scoring. "We kept putting the pressure on him and we had a lot of big, two-out hits," he added. The loss started a crucial seven-game West Coast trip for the Cardinals, who begin a four-game set on Thursday night against the Dodgers. Eric Stults (6-2) allowed three runs on five hits with five strikeouts and a walk in 5 1-3 innings. Stults is 5-0 in seven starts since rejoining the starting rotation on August 6. Garcia got pulled after only three innings, giving up four runs on seven hits. The lefty struck out four, walked three and had two wild pitches. "A bad one," Garcia said. "I didnt get the job done. I was just getting the ball up. Theyve got a good lineup." San Diego has won 14 of 18 overall and 18 of 24 at home. The Cardinals had cut the lead to 6-3 when they loaded the bases with one out in the seventh inning. But Dale Thayer, who came in and gave up a single to Carlos Beltran to load the bases, got Matt Holliday to ground into a double play. Rookie Pete Kozma put the Cardinals ahead on a two-run triple with two outs in the second. Kozma finished with three hits. NOTES: Garcia is 1-5 with an 8.32 ERA in his last six road starts. ... Cardinals RHP Lance Lynn will start Thursday night against the Los Angeles Dodgers. Lynn replaced RHP Jake Westbrook, who sustained a right oblique injury on Saturday. Matheny said the injury is not severe and said it looks as if Westbrook will pitch again this season. ... Padres closer Huston Street, on the DL since Aug. 11 (strained left calf) threw a simulated game. Black said the club will make a decision later in the week when Street will return. ... St. Louis 1B-OF Lance Berkman will have season-ending surgery on Tuesday on his ailing right knee. Berkman has just two homers and seven RBIs in 80 at-bats. .. Cardinals RHP Chris Carpenter threw around 70 pitches in a simulated game on Monday, keeping alive the hope he might pitch this season. Carpenter, 37, has not pitched because of a nerve condition in his right shoulder. ... St. Louis RHP Adam Wainwright (13-12, 4.04 ERA) faces San Diego RHP Edinson Volquez (9-10, 4.27) on Tuesday night. cheap nfl jerseys . He was 88 years old. Royal, who is Texas all-time winningest coach and for whom the teams stadium is named after, had been suffering from Alzheimers disease. cheap jerseys nfl . UK Anti-Doping says the Iraqi-born professional tested positive for stanozolol following his four-round loss to former Olympic champion Audley Harrison on May 26. http://www.jerseysfromchinac... . The Montreal mixed martial arts star, who beat Carlos Condit two weeks ago to defend his welterweight title at UFC 154, tweeted a picture of himself in Paris on Friday. [url=http://www.jerseysfromchinacheapwholesale.com/]jerseys from china .S. Open victories this summer. Britains first male grand-slam winner in 76 years arrived on an open-top bus before walking slowly through the towns streets, signing autographs as the crowds chanted his name, waved Scottish flags and lifted homemade placards. wholesale jerseys . The Bayern Munich player fractured his left foot in July and was unlikely to recover in time for the Sept. 11 Group C game in Vienna. "Alaba wont be added to the squad even if he gets fit just in time," Koller said Tuesday. PHOENIX -- Dorell Wright had no doubt of the outcome when Monta Ellis rose to take Golden States final shot. Ellis hit an 20-foot fadeaway jumper with 1 second remaining and the Warriors beat the Phoenix Suns 106-104 on Wednesday night. "I knew it was going in," Wright said. "Thats what hes about. Hes a gamer." Ellis shared Wrights confidence. "It looked good and felt good," Ellis said. "It was a tough shot but I was locked in and focused on it and it went down for me. Coach just told me to go with 5 seconds and get a good shot and I thought I did that." Channing Fryes 3-point attempt rolled off the back of the rim at the buzzer, giving the Warriors their first win in Phoenix since March 18, 2005. Ellis finished with a game-high 26 points, Wright had 23 and David Lee added 22 for the Warriors, who squandered a 21-point lead before rallying in the final 2:16. "I feel like we executed on both sides of the basketball when it matters most," said Warriors coach Mark Jackson. "If I had to design a win, I would have designed it this way. It was much better for our future to grind out a win." Golden State played all but 1 minute of the final three quarters and the entire second half without Stephen Curry, who strained a tendon in his right foot with 2:19 to play in the first quarter. Frye had 22 points, Marcin Gortat scored 21 and Jared Dudley finished with 17 for the Suns, whose two-game winning streak was snapped. "The way we approached the game sucked," said Suns coach Alvin Gentry. "We end up defending the hell out of the guy and he makes the shot. But thats not the difference in the game. The difference in the game was the first 10 minutes of the game. "Im disgusted with the way we played and Im dissgusted with the fact that we got a chance to enter the break on something upbeat and positive and instead we just walk through the first 10 minutes of the game.ddddddddddddquot; Phoenix, behind for only 97 seconds in its previous two games, trailed the Warriors until the final 3:50 when Dudley scored on a layup off a lobbed inbounds pass to give the Suns a 96-94 lead. Dudley also gave Phoenix its final lead, 100-99, when he scored off an offensive rebound with 2:26 to go. The Warriors scored five straight to go back ahead 104-100, the last on Nate Robinsons basket with 1:23 to go, only to see the Suns tie the game again on a dunk by Frye with 1:03 left and Grant Hills layup with 11.6 to go. "We were panicking," Lee said. "We just didnt show it. We really didnt want to lose this one especially because weve lost 13 in a row here. We held down the fort, got a few stops and some good shots on offence." Golden State scored the games first seven points and ran out to a 39-22 lead after one. The Warriors stretched the lead to as many as 21 points, 59-38, before settling for a 59-45 halftime lead. "We cant have those dry spells and defensively we were bad," Dudley said. "I cant quite put my finger on why we played bad in the first quarter. It wasnt just one thing. Even with that, we got back in the game and battled out way back." NOTES: Curry jogged out of the locker room with a minute left in the first half and checked in for the final 18 seconds of the half, but sat out the remainder of the game. . Warriors F Ekpe Udoh was limited to one shot in 21 minutes by a left knee contusion. ... Golden States 39 first-quarter points were a season high. . The Warriors won the season series against Phoenix for the first time since 1994-95. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes