Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

41 former Yankees coaches or players, including Ti...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

41 former Yankees coaches or players, including Tim Raines and Hall of Famer Dave Winfield. ... It was the eighth time in club histor

Started by lili, 2014/04/29 08:45AM
Latest post: 2014/04/29 08:45AM, Views: 300, Posts: 1
41 former Yankees coaches or players, including Tim Raines and Hall of...
#1   2014/04/29 08:45AM
lili
ATLANTA -- John Fox and Mike Smith each emphasized power running games in their three years together in the NFC South. They were perceived as conservative, strong-willed and unbending in their run-first convictions. The stereotypes are changing as suddenly no one seemed to know what offensive philosophy to expect from either coach entering the 2012 season. How would Fox, the former longtime Carolina Panthers coach beginning his second season in Denver, adjust to the dramatic addition of Peyton Manning? Would Smith, entering his fifth season in Atlanta, allow new offensive co-ordinator Dirk Koetter to pump up the passing game with Matt Ryan? Week 1 victories offered encouraging and exciting opening acts for each offence, setting the stage for the Broncos visit to Atlanta on Monday night. Coverage of the game begins at 6:30pm et/3:30pm pt with Monday Night Countdown followed by kickoff at 8:30pm et/5:30pm pt. Manning completed 19 of 26 passes for 253 yards with two touchdowns in last weeks 31-19 win over Pittsburgh. It was an important step in Mannings comeback following a 20-month layoff for neck surgery. Then again, could anything less be expected from the four-time MVP? Smith said Mannings re-emergence leaves Atlantas defence with little margin for error. "I think the most important thing is we have to play sound technique and make sure were in the right place, because if youre out of place by half a yard, youre going to pay for it," Smith said. "He has a very good understanding of how youre trying to defend him. You give him pre-snap reads, hes going to know where to go with the football." The Falcons, meanwhile, showed that their increased emphasis on Ryans passing game was no preseason mirage. Ryan completed 23 of 31 passes for 299 yards and three touchdowns in last weeks 40-24 win at Kansas City. The Falcons emphasis may have changed from Michael Turners running to Ryans passing, but Fox said he sees similarities to the Atlanta offences he prepared game plans for twice a year from 2008-10. "They utilized the no-huddle even when I was back there, but that is what makes them such a good offence," Fox said. "They have the ability to get big and pound you and get small and stretch it that way. Thats what good offences are capable of, and theyre definitely one of them." The 30-year-old Turner had only 11 carries for 32 yards against the Chiefs. Ryan had Atlantas only touchdown rushing. Turner, Jacquizz Rodgers and Jason Snelling combined for only 20 carries. Ryan said last weeks run-pass ratio did not set a mould for the season. "I think its one of those cases where Kansas City is stout against the run," Ryan said. "Theyve got some defensive tackles who are really good in their 3-4 scheme. We feel like it was to our advantage to throw last week. "Its one of those things I think we can do whatever we need to do. I think were talented that way, so if weve got to run it 50 times, well run it 50 times. Its just the way certain games shake out." As the Falcons embrace the no-huddle offence, second-year wide receiver Julio Jones is emerging as a top threat worthy of equal billing with Roddy White and tight end Tony Gonzalez. Jones had six catches for 108 yards and two touchdowns last week. Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said Jones (6-foot-3, 220) reminds him of a young Terrell Owens. Bailey said Jones can be even better than Owens. "I was telling somebody he looks like a young T.O. when T.O. was big, strong and fast and youthful out there," Bailey said. "He looks a lot like him, but I think his hands are better. Hes more polished at a younger age. I just think his upside is greater than what T.O.s was." Thanks to the opener, the Falcons offence received a confidence boost after the 2011 season ended with a 24-2 loss to the New York Giants in the NFC wild-card game. "For sure. You see how explosive we can be offensively," said centre Todd McClure. White took a cautious approach when asked for his review of the win. "Not to take anything away from the Kansas City Chiefs, but were going to play a lot of teams who are better on defence than those guys are," White said. "Its going to be a whole lot different this week." The Falcons are adjusting to the loss of starting cornerback Brent Grimes to a torn Achilles tendon. Smith said Dunta Robinson, who had been the nickel back, will start at right cornerback. Christopher Owens moves into the nickel spot. Asante Samuel is the left cornerback. ray ban outlet . Kelly was the third college coach Philadelphia interviewed since firing Andy Reid on Dec. 31. The person, speaking on condition of anonymity because he wasnt authorized to release the information, said the Eagles met with Kelly on Tuesday. ray ban wayfarer sunglasses . He hopped up for each grounder, gloved the ball and chased down Brady as he scampered up the first-base line at Wrigley Field. http://www.officialraybansun... . Hamilton completed the Formula One race in 1 hour, 41 minutes, 5.503 seconds -- more than a second ahead of Lotus driver Kimi Raikkonen. Romain Grosjean, also of Lotus, was third. [url=http://www.officialraybansunglassesoutlet.com/]ray ban sunglasses for sale . -- The Diamondbacks reinstated outfielder Chris Young from the disabled list and optioned A. cheap ray ban . The NHLs senior vice-president of hockey operations will oversee a rules summit with key stakeholders in the game Tuesday and Wednesday that is tasked with examining the way hooking, holding and interference calls were handed out last season. SEATTLE -- Ichiro Suzuki switched teams in Seattle after a momentous trade and singled his first time up with the New York Yankees during their 4-1 victory over the Mariners on Monday night. In a surprising deal about 3 1/2 hours before the game, Seattle sent Suzuki to the Yankees for a pair of young pitchers. After leaving the only major league team hed ever played for, the 10-time All-Star held an emotional news conference and then joined his new teammates in the other clubhouse at Safeco Field. Just like that, Suzuki went from last place in the AL West to first in the AL East. And he helped New York beat his former club by going 1 for 4 with his 16th stolen base. Hiroki Kuroda (10-7) allowed three hits over seven sharp innings to help the Yankees bounce back from a four-game sweep in Oakland. The right-hander struck out nine and walked one. Alex Rodriguez hit his 15th home run this season -- the 644th of his career and 299th as a Yankee -- in the eighth. He also had a double in the fourth and scored twice. Mark Teixeira had three hits, including a pair of doubles, and an RBI. David Robertson worked a hitless eighth and Rafael Soriano pitched the ninth for his 25th save in 27 chances. Fittingly, Suzuki caught the final out in right field. Kevin Millwood (3-8) went seven innings, allowing nine hits and three runs. Suzuki showed up in Seattles clubhouse in the early afternoon wearing a fine suit with thin pinstripes. By the end of the day, he had a different sort of pinstripes on his mind. "I am going from a team with the most losses to a team with the most wins," he said. "Its hard to contain my excitement for that reason." The Yankees also got cash in the deal that sent 25-year-old righties D.J. Mitchell and Danny Farquhar to the last-place Mariners. Suzuki started in right field in place of injured Nick Swisher and batted eighth. It was the first time the 2001 AL MVP and Rookie of the Year started a game batting anywhere other tthan the top three spots in the lineup.dddddddddddd. Fans at Safeco Field gave him a 45-second standing ovation when he came to bat with one out in the third inning. He doffed his helmet and bowed twice to the crowd before hitting a single and stealing second base. The Yankees made the trade a few days after learning that speedy outfielder Brett Gardner would likely miss the rest of the season because of an elbow problem, and manager Joe Girardi said Suzuki will mostly play left field. Suzuki was given No. 31 because the number he wore his entire career with the Mariners, No. 51, has not been worn by a Yankee since four-time World Series champion Bernie Williams last played. "No. 51 is a special number to me, but when I think about what 51 means to the Yankees, its hard for me to ask for that number," said Suzuki, who holds the major league record for most hits in a season. When Suzuki trotted out to right field in the first, fans stood and applauded. He tipped his hat and waved it in a half-circle. The Mariners scored in the third on John Jasos RBI single to right. Suzukis hard throw to the plate was too late to get Dustin Ackley. The Yankees responded with three in the fourth. Rodriguez ripped a one-out double high off the right-field wall and Robinson Cano walked. Teixeira doubled to right, scoring Rodriguez and sending Cano to third. Raul Ibanez followed with a first-pitch single to left, scoring Cano for a 2-1 lead. Teixeira scored on Andruw Jones single. NOTES: No. 31 had been worn by 41 former Yankees coaches or players, including Tim Raines and Hall of Famer Dave Winfield. ... It was the eighth time in club history that the Mariners played at home the day after the longest flight in the American League (2,510 miles) from Tampa Bay. They are 4-4 in those games. ... Mariners 1B Justin Smoak went hitless in three at-bats and is riding an 0-for-19 streak. ... Millwood has given up 32 hits to Suzuki, more than any other pitcher. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes