Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

and was not included in the official team selectio...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

and was not included in the official team selection. Emily Batty, who will be Pendrels Olympic teammate,

Started by amy11, 2014/03/09 07:52AM
Latest post: 2014/03/09 07:52AM, Views: 378, Posts: 1
and was not included in the official team selection. Emily Batty, who ...
#1   2014/03/09 07:52AM
amy11
TORONTO - Henderson Alvarez helped the Toronto Blue Jays earn a rare home series victory over the Detroit Tigers on Saturday afternoon. The six-foot-one, 211-pound right-hander pitched seven solid innings and was buoyed by three Toronto home runs as the Blue Jays defeated Detroit 5-1 before a sun-drenched Rogers Centre gathering of 41,832 for just their second home series victory over the Tigers since 2006. "Hendersons seven innings certainly set the tone," said Toronto manager John Farrell. "He was strong, he was consistent with his changeup and he threw some good sliders. "He trusts his fastball a lot and he should when you have that kind of sink and can throw in the mid-90s consistently." Toronto improved to 3-2 on its current homestand, which will end with the series finale against Detroit on Sunday. Alvarez (7-7) surrendered a run on five hits over seven innings with four strikeouts and two walks for the win. He had some help in the first inning when third baseman Brett Lawrie of Langley, B.C., made a nice leaping catch of a one-out Quintin Berry line drive before left-fielder Travis Sniders outstanding diving snag of a two-out drive from Prince Fielder with one on. "It always helps having guys making plays for you," Alvarez said through an interpreter. "After those two plays I got pumped up and it helped me get through the game and pitch well." The 22-year-old Venezuelan registered his team-high 11th quality start of the season and went at least seven innings for the eighth time this season. "He had a fastball that was more electric than we anticipated," said Detroit right-fielder Brennan Boesch. Alvarez was aided by four Toronto homers in his last win, a 15-7 decision over Boston on July 22 that saw him allow seven runs over 5 2-3 innings. He was sharper Saturday and was against the beneficiary of long-ball support, including Colby Rasmus 18th homer, a two-run shot in the seventh that ended Detroit starter Anibal Sanchezs day. "I was really, really impressed," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said of Alvarez. "Hes got a real live arm." Detroit (53-48) suffered its third straight loss and fourth in five games after a five-game win streak briefly moved the Tigers atop the AL Central. Sanchez (5-8) was acquired from Miami last week with infielder Omar Infante but surrendered five runs and eight hits through six innings in his Tigers debut. "The last few days we havent done enough to win games, plain and simple," Leyland said. "We either made a couple of mistakes pitching or we havent got the big hit or I havent pulled the right strings." Left-hander J.A Harp worked the final two innings for Toronto (51-49). Toronto outhit Detroit 10-5 with Edwin Encarnacion and Yunel Escobar also belting solo homers. Rasmus finished 2-for-3 with three RBIs in his first stint as the DH with Anthony Gose starting in centre field. "It definitely was weird in the beginning," Rasmus said of not playing in the field. "But I just stayed focused on the game and watched him pitch and what he was trying to do with the hitters so it would give me a better chance when I got up there." Alvarez got himself into a jam in the sixth by issuing one-out walks to Miguel Cabrera and Fielder but ended the threat by getting Delmon Young and Boesch to both fly out. Escobar then led off the bottom of the inning with a solo homer, his seventh of the season to give Toronto a 3-1 advantage. Encarnacions solo shot, his 28th of the season to lead off the fourth, put Toronto ahead 2-1 Detroit made it 1-1 in the top of the inning on Boeschs two-out double that scored Young, who had singled. Rasmus opened the scoring in the third, his sacrifice fly bringing home Gose, who had singled. Notes: Toronto slugger Jose Bautista swung a bat before the game for the first time since suffered a left wrist injury in New York on July 16. Bautista is currently on the 15-day disabled list and eligible to come off Aug. 1, although Farrell figures Bautista will need additional time to fully recover. ... With his first-inning double, Lawrie extended his hit streak to seven straight games. ... Toronto left-hander Brett Cecil (2-3, 5.82 earned-run average) takes on Detroit right-hander Doug Fister (4-7, 4.03 ERA) on Sunday. Left-hander Ricky Romero (8-7, 5.75 ERA) will open Torontos road series at Seattle on Monday night . ... Detroit is in the midst of a nine-game road trip that will conclude with a three-game series in Boston starting Monday night. ... Prior to Saturdays game, Toronto had scored a major league-leading 496 runs. cheap jerseys online . Tom Bradys New England Patriots will once again do battle with Ray Lewis and the Baltimore Ravens for AFC supremacy and a spot in the Super Bowl at Gillette Stadium on Sunday. nfl jerseys outlet . At 42 years, six months and 16 days, Selanne is the oldest active player in the league this lockout-shortened season. http://www.uscheapjerseysoutlet.com/[/... . Sinclairs first and second goals of London 2012 came in the second half as she headed home a cross in the 58th minute, and followed that up by converting a clear break on net in the 86th to put the game out of reach. [url=http://www.uscheapjerseysoutlet.com/]cheap jerseys paypal . -- Kolton Browning reminded the nation that Louisiana-Monroe is no stranger taking down the Southeastern Conference. wholesale nfl jerseys . A person familiar with the talks said the Red Sox and Pirates are close to completing a trade that would send All-Star closer Joel Hanrahan to Boston for a handful of prospects.MONT SAINTE ANNE, Quebec - Canadian mountain bike racer, Catharine Pendrel won on home soil today, at the Mont Sainte Anne World Cup, in Beaupre, Quebec. This is the second win of the World Cup season for the defending World Champion. "It seemed like my teammate Georgia was on fire, there was no reeling her in. I was able to maintain the same pace as her, but not reel her in," said Pendrel after the race. "The course is so tough, and I was trying to recover in between, but I realized I would never make up any ground if I was allowing myself any recovery. I was really trying to accelerate in every little piece of trail that I could. Georgia started to suffer for the pace she set early on. Luckily I was able to maintain and be consistent through the race." Pendrel was slow from the start, and was riding steady, just under a minute behind leader, American Georgia Gould. With two laps to go, Pendrel started to charge, passing Gould withh one lap remaining, and taking a comfortable lead to the finish.dddddddddddd "With the Olympic announcement on Wednesday, everyone is so excited," said Pendrel. "I would love to be able to do this in a month or so. This was a good race to see that those gaps do form, and Ive got some fine tuning to do before August."Gould held on to finish second. Marie-Helene Premont, of nearby Chateau Richer, Quebec, finished third, her best result this season. Premont has twice represented Canada at the Olympic Games, winning a medal at the Athens 2004 Olympics, but failed to perform earlier this season and was not included in the official team selection. Emily Batty, who will be Pendrels Olympic teammate, finished sixth after a slow start. Each subsequent lap, Batty was able to make up time on the riders around her, but could not get close enough to secure a top five position. The mens race takes place Saturday afternoon. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes