Sorry, there was an error
Sorry, there was an error
Country Music Forums @ CountryMusicPerformers.com

had strep throat and was scratched from a Wednesda...

Please login or register free to be able to post.

View forum:

had strep throat and was scratched from a Wednesday

Started by lili, 2014/06/03 07:44AM
Latest post: 2014/06/03 07:44AM, Views: 356, Posts: 1
had strep throat and was scratched from a Wednesday
#1   2014/06/03 07:44AM
lili
KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. -- Venus Williams won in her first singles match since August, dispatching Kimiko Date-Krumm 6-0, 6-3 at the Sony Ericsson Open on Wednesday. She smiled, raised her arms in victory, then skipped to the net to shake Date-Krumms hand before twirling around and pumping her arms in a celebration worthy of winning the title, not just a first match. But other than playing a meaningless doubles match during the United States Fed Cup first round victory over Belarus in early February, she hadnt played an official match since the U.S. Open first round. The 31-year-old Williams withdrew from her second round match against Sabine Lisicki at the U.S. Open after announcing she had been diagnosed with the fatigue-causing, auto-immune disease known as Sjogrens Syndrome. "I mean, just to be in this tournament is a huge win for me. Just to be here is a win," Williams said. "You know, thats what I told myself going in, that this is a win. I have nothing to lose." Asked how she felt during and after the match, Williams said, "I feel like a person that has an autoimmune disease. You know, for me, Im not going to probably feel like everybody else. But for me, my personal best is to give 100 per cent." Once a world No. 1 and a seven-time Grand Slam singles champion, Williams is ranked No. 134. Shes hoping to be able to play steadily now and to make her third U.S. Olympic team -- she won gold in singles and doubles at the 2000 Sydney Games and a doubles gold medal at the 2008 Beijing Games. Williams had five aces and 26 overall winners in the match while taking advantage of five of 10 break point opportunities. In the first set, Williams lost only seven points on serve. She dropped her serve only once in the match, in the first game of the second set. Aleksandra Wozniak of Blainville, Que., won her opening round match 4-6, 6-3, 6-0 over Eleni Daniilidou of Greece. Wozniak trailed by a set and a break at 1-3 in the second set before mounting an impressive comeback. She won the final 11 games of the match, is now on a six match winning streak after taking home the title last week at the Nassau Challenger in the Bahamas. Wozniak will take on the tournaments No. 28 seed, Monica Niculescu of Romania in round two on Friday. Wozniak won their first meeting in 2009 in the opening round of the French Open. The unseeded Kim Clijsters, a former Sony Ericsson Open champion (2005 and 2010), came through a 4-6, 6-1, 6-0 first-round match against Jarmila Gajdosova of Australia. Clijsters, a four-time Grand Slam champion, is currently ranked No. 37. This match was Clijsters first outing on court since she sustained a left ankle injury at the Australian Open. She lost in three sets to eventual champion Victoria Azarenka in the semifinals in Melbourne. "My ankle feels -- it feels totally fine," Clijsters said. "I dont worry about it anymore. Im not able to play without the tape yet. I still need that support." Clijsters clearly struggled to find her form at the outset of the match. She lost the first set to the No. 45-ranked Gajdosova after initially leading 3-1 in that opening set. But once she found her groove, she dominated the final two sets, only losing one of 13 games played. In the first set, Clijsters surrendered her serve on two of nine break points. In the second set, Clijsters saved all four break points she faced. And by the third set she never offered Gajdosova a break opportunity. "When it comes down to my game I just felt like I wasnt just quite going through my shots as well as I should have," Clijsters said. "As I started to feel more comfortable in the conditions and playing matches again, I felt like I was hitting through the ball better, and that showed in the second and third set." Cheap NFL Jerseys . The Victoria cyclist was seventh in Mondays stage to hold onto the pink leaders jersey, avoiding a crash on the final turn that took out several of the top contenders. Wholesale NFL Jerseys . -- Tim Tebow wont be playing for his hometown team. http://www.jerseystt.com/ . -- This rematch was a mismatch. Cheap Jerseys from china . Foley won the honour after the Argos beat the Calgary Stampeders 35-22 at Sundays championship game. Cheap Jerseys .E.I. Rocket 3-2 on Friday in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League action. The 19-year-old winger currently has the longest goal-scoring streak in the league as hes now scored at least once in eight straight contests. KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Chicago White Sox have no more games left against the Kansas City Royals, and thats a good thing for the AL Central leaders. Kansas City catcher Salvador Perez threw out Alex Rios at the plate and picked off Alexei Ramirez at third base, and the White Sox kept missing chances Thursday night in a 4-3 loss to the Royals. Eric Hosmer singled home the winning run on a 0-2 pitch with two outs in the ninth inning. Chicago stayed two games ahead of Detroit, which lost in the afternoon to Oakland, with 13 games remaining. The White Sox went 6-12 against the Royals this year, including one stretch of six consecutive losses. "Weve played them tough all year," Hosmer said. "Its baseball. Certain teams match up well against other teams." After going 1 for 12 with runners in scoring position in Wednesdays 3-0 loss to Kansas City, the White Sox went 1 for 8 in those situations and stranded seven runners. Chicago is hitting .190 with runners in scoring position over the past 19 games. "If you keep shooting yourself in the foot its going to come back to bite you," White Sox manager Robin Ventura said. "If you keep having opportunities and not taking advantage, a team like this will beat you." Rios tried to score with one out in the third when Jeremy Guthries pitch rolled a few feet behind Perez. But Perezs toss to Guthrie cut down Rios at the plate. "Alex thinks he can go, then he hesitates," Ventura said. "That ones an instinct play, you go or you stop. Its little things like that we have to stop doing." Rios out became more magnified when Kevin Youkilis singled to left two pitches later. "If you hesitate and dont get a good read, bad stuff happens when you do that," Rios said. "You have to be aware of the situation, with one out I could have scored on a fly ball. It was a tough read, a bad angle. I hesitated. Ive got to go without hesitating." Perez nabbed Ramirez in the fourth for his fifth pickoff, most among major league catchers. "I dont know if theyve got quicksand around third, but weve been losing guys over there," Ventura said. Chicago wasted an early 3-0 lead and lost to the sub-.500 Royals for the ninth time in their last 11 meetinggs.dddddddddddd Billy Butler led off the Royals ninth with a single against Jesse Crain (2-3). Pinch-runner Jarrod Dyson stole second with two down and Jeff Francoeur was walked intentionally. Matt Thornton relieved and Hosmer singled down the third-base line. Greg Holland (7-4) worked a scoreless ninth for the victory. Alejandro De Aza, Adam Dunn and A.J. Pierzynski singled in the first to put the White Sox in front 1-0. Guthrie committed a throwing error in the second that led to two unearned runs. He walked Dan Johnson and gave up an infield single to Ramirez, then made a wild throw to first on Gordon Beckhams sacrifice that allowed a run to score. Dewayne Wise added an RBI grounder. Guthrie allowed three runs and eight hits in six innings. The right-hander is 4-0 with a 1.75 ERA in his past nine starts, all of which the Royals have won. "I didnt have great command or great stuff, but I relied on defensive plays," he said. "Sal made three great plays. I dont think I really settled in. Really each pitch seemed like a struggle, not many at-bats did I feel like I was in control. It was a real struggle. I didnt have a feel for much of what I was doing." Francisco Liriano held the Royals to one hit in the first four innings, but gave up a two-run triple to Johnny Giavotella in the fifth. "Gios hit turned it around," Royals manager Ned Yost said. "We were doing absolutely nothing until then." Billy Butler doubled in Alex Gordon in the sixth, tying it at 3. Butler has 99 RBIs, the most by a Royals player since Carlos Beltrans 100 in 2003. NOTES: White Sox 1B Paul Konerko was held out of the lineup with a sore back. Rios replaced him in the cleanup slot. ... The White Sox continue their trip with a weekend series at Los Angeles. RHP Jake Peavy will start Friday night against the Angels. He is 0-2 with a 5.04 ERA in four career starts vs. the Angels. ... RHP Luis Mendoza, who had strep throat and was scratched from a Wednesday start, will start Friday for the Royals against Cleveland. ... Perez has picked off a franchise-record eight in 104 career games. Darrell Porter held the club record with seven in 492 Royals games from 1977-80. ' ' '

Please login or register free to be able to post.

« Go back to topic list

• Links allowed: yes
  • Allow HTML: no
  • Allow BB code yes
  • Allow youTube.com: yes
  • Allow code: yes
  • Links visible: no
  • Quick reply: yes
  • Post preview: yes